Chapter 44

"We loved with a love
that was more than love."
-Edgar Allen Poe

Daniel and Meredith are at my house

Daniel and Meredith are at my house. I walked in the morning after confessing my feelings to Leona, and they were already there. Obviously, my parents let them in and left for work without informing me of our guests.

Slowly, I place my phone on the coffee table between the three of us and sit on the armchair, opposite the couch where Meredith and Daniel were, their arms around each other.

I don't know what they were expecting, but I'm not planning on giving in to their antics. They can hug and kiss all they want. I'm too concerned about someone else. Hell, they could fuck right in front of me. It's not like they haven't before.

"Well, this is awkward." I say, pressing a finger to my temple in annoyance. My elbow is leaning on the armchair, and I raise my eyebrow at both of them. Daniel clears his throat and leans forward, towards me.

"We were just wondering how you were doing, pal. I know it's hard to see your ex with your best friend, so I wanted to check on you." He says, and I roll my eyes.

"As you can see, I'm totally fine, so can you leave?" I ask, but Daniel tuts, shaking his head. I sigh in annoyance. "What now?" I ask, exasperated.

"It's not gonna be that easy, Logan." He says, and I glance over to Meredith. There's a sick smile on her face, and I sigh, annoyed at her.

At one point, I truly thought she loved me. I truly thought she had real feelings for me and wouldn't hurt me as much as she did. Why would she sit there and revel in seeing me broken if at one point she truly saw love whenever she looked into my eyes?

"What?" I ask. "Just tell me what, and then leave me the fuck alone for the rest of my Goddamn life. Please." I say, and then, my phone rings from the coffee table.

I glance at it to see Leona's name flash on the screen. Just as I'm about to reach out and get it, I see Daniel's hand curl around it before he picks it up. I stand up quickly, glaring at him.

"Give me my phone." I tell him, but he grins and shakes his head.

"I don't think so, Logan." He says as the ringing stops. He looks at the phone and his grin widens. "Oh, look at that." He says, and my heart rate picks up. God, what is he going to do? "She's left a voicemail."

Then, he plays it, putting Leona on speakerphone. "Hey, Preece." I hear Leona say. "So, I realised how stupid I was behaving last night, and, I don't know, you told me you loved me, and I didn't say it back." Leona says, and my eyes flicker over to Meredith.

Her eyes are wide with surprise and her hand is on Daniel's arms as he, too, looked at me like I'd grown an extra head.

"I mean, you probably hate me for not saying it back, and I kinda hate me too. What I'm tryna say is... is... that I love you too." She says, and my heart inflates.

I see Meredith's reaction as she scoffs, and my jaw clenches in annoyance. Leona is finally telling me how she feels, and the two people who I hate the most have to listen to it, too. I wanted it to be intimate and close, not annoying and uncomfortable.

"I can't believe I'm saying this into your voicemail." Leona laughs. "But, erm, come and see me, yeah?" She says, and the voicemail ends. I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Damn." Daniel chuckles, shaking his head. "You really got her to fall in love with you, huh?" He adds. "Surprising."

"Yeah. I didn't think you had it in you to move on from me. "Meredith adds, smirking. Daniel throws my phone onto the coffee table and I grab it, shoving it into my pocket.

"Meredith, I told you. I moved on from you ages ago." I say. "you're so hung up on me not being with anyone else, it's almost like you're still in love with me."

"I was never in love with you." She says.

I nod my head. "Of course. Well, you both have some creepy obsession with me, which is why you're standing in my living room, giving your two pence on my relationship. Why don't you do yourselves a favour and fuck out of my life before I really lose my shit."

"When did you grow a backbone, Logan?" Daniel asks, dragging out this conversation that I don't want to have. Nor is it needed.

"Get the fuck out of my house, Daniel. I don't care about you. I don't care about your girlfriend. I've moved on. Don't you think it's time for you to move on, too?"

Meredith scoffs again, before she walks away, pulling Daniel with her. "Forget it. He's too much of a pussy to deal with his problems, and he'd obviously fuck some other bitch to get his anger out."

"Don't call her a bitch." I say, approaching Meredith and pointing a finger in her face. Anger boiled my blood, and I'm not sure I can contain it for long. Daniel pulls her away, standing in front of me.

"Watch how you talk to my girlfriend." He grumbled, his fists clenching at his side. I chuckle, shaking my head.

"The hypocrisy in this room is suffocating." I say, and Daniel huffs before Meredith pulls him away from me. I watch as both of them leave the living room and leave my house. I collapse onto my couch, finally breathing a sigh of relief.

I smile to myself. Leona loves me. She said it. She loves me. Her heart belongs to me, and mine to her. It's like our souls finally connected and entwined their fingers to bring us together. I couldn't be more happier that we're both finally able to be true to ourselves and open ourselves up to each other.

I don't care if my heart breaks again. I have Leona, and that's all I care about.