Chapter 8 / Sam 4 / 2 x 2 x 19 Days Left

The greater spotted woodpecker (dendrocopos major) is a medium sized bird measuring 21 to 23 centimetres in typical adult specimens with a wingspan of approximately 35 centimetres. It is easily identifiable by its black and white plumage with red markings underneath the tail feathers. Male greater spotted woodpeckers are also coloured red on the back of the head. This species is only likely to be confused with the lesser spotted woodpecker (dryobates minor) which can be easily differentiated by its much smaller size and quieter pecking sound. The lesser spotted woodpecker typically measures 15 centimetres, not much larger than a common house sparrow. These were the words that Sam had read the day before in the wildlife section of the local library. This had settled it. Woodpecker was without doubt a greater spotted woodpecker.

This was one of two pieces of information that she had gleaned the previous day, the other being that The Journal of Mathematical and Electrical Control Science existed. Real words on real paper. Neither fact helped much in pushing forward her comprehension of what was happening or what she was supposed to do, but at least now she was rather sure that she wasn't going insane. Whatever it was that she was now involved in was real and this had given her a sudden sense of direction and purpose. Driving home she had decided there and then that she was now all-in on this thing. She committed herself to follow whatever threads she might pull until the whole thing unravelled.

On that drive she had phoned a friend who was a research assistant at University College in London and arranged to borrow her library card for the morning. She needed to see inside that book. She had also phoned work and told them that she wasn't feeling herself, which was no lie, and needed the day off at short notice.

Her friend Kate is waiting for her at the station just as they had agreed. They had known each other since school and whilst they had never been close, they had always remained in touch through social media. Kate seems hurried by the day that is yet to unfurl, but says that she has time for a quick coffee at a place just outside the station. The morning is cold enough that Sam can see her breath. Entering the warmth of the café, steam hissing out of the espresso machines, has her peeling off layers as the heat hits her, abrupt and unexpected. Kate gives Sam the library card, "Give me a call when you're done so I can get it back. So, what are you swatting up on anyway?"

Sam had anticipated the question and already prepared an answer. "I'm thinking about doing an open university degree. Maybe linguistics. I just want to photocopy some material, so I know what I'm talking about," she explains, sounding, she thinks, convincing.

"Good for you Sam. So, what's been going on in your life? It's been ages."

They chat for ten minutes but in a short form, superficial, kind of way, Sam giving a brief synopsis of what had been happening in her life. The divorce, her mother, work. Kate is settled with one child and enjoying academic life. She is still as excited by life and living in the big city as she ever was and couldn't imagine living out in the sticks like Sam. Her child was some kind of art prodigy, but whose offspring isn't, Sam thinks to herself. "Anyway, must be going Sam. It's been lovely to see you, albeit so briefly. Conflab with the professor," Kate says pronouncing the last syllable as a long "orrr".

"Well thanks Kate. It's been great to see you too. I really appreciate you helping me out with the library card like this."

"Glad I can help. You can invite me to the graduation party! Call when you're done okay?"

"Of course. Thanks again."

******

Sam had been anxious that she wouldn't be able to get past the front gate without a university identification card, so she had tried as best she could that morning to dress like a mature student. Casual but conservative. A mix of styles to convey the message that even at her age she hasn't quite worked out what she wants to be yet. To round off the look she carries a ring binder under her left arm as she goes. Now that she is standing outside the main courtyard, she realises this might look a touch dated. Most of the students carry mac-books if they carry anything. Hers is the only ring binder in sight. She needn't have bothered with the charade anyway. The security guard isn't checking anyone or even paying much attention as people pour in busily for morning lectures. Sam tags on to the side of a group of students and walks straight through.