Chapter 1, Part 1

During the summer of 2015, I lived in a small town in Michigan, my name is David obviously named after king David from the bible. While growing up evangelical protestant, God was the most important thing to My parents. For they believed the bible was law and serving the Lord was the most important thing we could ever do. It's just not easy sometimes. "Wake up! get dressed!" My mom called out. I liked serving the Lord too but did it have to be every Sunday morning? "Wake the f**k up now! It's time for church!" My dad yelled. Every Sunday morning my parents rush me and my little sister Chloe out the door. I doubt God cares how early we get to church but my parents take no chances to avoid hell. Don't get me wrong Im very fortunate to be an evangelical protestant, the way  pastor Philips speaks, it feels so inspiring and the rest of the church must have felt the same way. Still it felt odd that we should go to church and listen to what he says about the bible. My parents own one and you'd think we would read it ourselves on our own time instead of listening to someone els talk about it. I know it's wrong to question God's wisdom, my mom says our holy father's wisdom is beyond our limited understanding. Makes since if God could see every outcome or can create his own. Still as I hear our preacher talk scripture, explaining the story of Sodom and Gomorrah on how God sent two angels to investigated the morality in these two towns. Thinking about it I wonder why did God have to send any angel to find out if those towns had any moral people? Shouldn't he already know the answer. Also there are a lot of stories where angels visit earth and interact with humans, even God sometimes speaking to humans directly. Yet nothing you read about in the bible seems to happen now. I've heard of people meeting Jesus in dreams but not anyone meeting an angel in person. Suddenly my mind darted back to reality and I remembered I'm in the house of God. A sudden deepening fear made me feel as though I was committing a sin, questioning god in his own home. When Pastor Philips asked everyone to to join him in prayer, I'm sure everyone els was asking for health on others or feeding the hungry I desperately wanted forgiveness. While I can't remember much about what Pastor Philips is talking about, I do remember well about him reminding everyone to cast their votes for the 2016 presidential election. Even then it seemed odd how much he wanted everyone to vote for Trump. Not because I thought he was a bad candidate, according to my parents he's the best candidate ever. It's just the pastor would compare him to Jesus. Finally the service is over, my family and I thanked Pastor Philips for his wonderful sermon. As we were walking to the car I couldn't help but think about all these unanswered thoughts in my head. For a book that is claimed to have all the answers, it somehow leaves me with questions.