07. an open book

07; an open book

Just as things began to settle, the stakes got even higher.

They had been shipped off to the forests near Paris, France, after they had sabotaged many Hydra operations around France, Russia and other places. Now, on their way to take down another brigade of Hydra members in the forest. They tried to be as quiet as possible, but the snow beneath them crunching incessantly it was hard to do so.

Steve and herself lead the way, both on the lookout for any hydra soldiers in the shadows or up in the trees. So far, about four Hydra soldiers had been in the trees, none on the ground. Evelyn was beginning to think they had all gone. Steve must've been thinking the same thing because he glanced over at her, raising his eyebrows as if to say "All clear?".

They had become civil towards each other in the months that followed. Steve had overcome his awkwardness and now talked to her with ease. Evelyn had pushed her feelings towards the man(no matter the size) aside and was treating him like she had never seen him making out with one of Privates on the base.

Although, that woman didn't get the best send off from Peggy when she was fired for inappropriate behaviour in the work place.

So, she checked the surrounding area once more. She walked with her back to a tree, facing him, to check behind in case they missed any in the forestry. She was about to give the all clear when Steve stopped, holding his hand up to halt the team. Evelyn stayed perfectly still, knowing that something that had sparked Steve's attention was a bad thing. She couldn't tell where he was looking, any movement could mess everything up. But with one swift flick of his shield, the Hydra soldier fell out of the tree with an unceremonious thud.

She hated admitting that that was so attractive.

Everyone stood in stunned silence for a couple of minutes, but resumed to normal after Steve gave the all clear. They retired to their jeep where the Captain was already in position with a map laid out in front of him. Bucky took the nearest seat to his friend, the rest forming a semi-circle around him. They tried to ignore the film crew obnoxiously sticking camera's in their faces and if Evelyn was allowed, it was be a pile of crushed metal by the time she would be done with it.

She knew what this was for, Colonel Phillips and Peggy had asked for the Howling Commandos missions to be documented on film. If she had any say though, they wouldn't be here.

"Alright," Steve began, smoothing out the map. "So the next Hydra base is around here, near the Maginot Line. If I'm correct, we should be about a half hour from it." he opened his compass, revealing something that nearly made Evelyn choke on air, her face and neck turning a deep shade of crimson.

Inside the lid of his compass was a picture of her.

But it wasn't any old picture from the newspaper, it was the sketch of her that he drew that night back in London. Bucky had a fucking cocky smirk on his face, staring her straight in the eye as the camera zoomed unnecessarily close on it. Gabe and Dernier were straight up giggling like little school girls, Falsworth chuckled while Dugan smiled wide. "Well, looks like someone's got a crush." he commented, earning daggers sent his way by both of the parties in question. The compass snapped shut and Steve looked at the camera guy disapprovingly. Then it turned to her and she's never been so glad that film was in black and white otherwise she would've been redder than the Red Skull.

She cleared her throat awkwardly. "I'm just going to go over there." and so she hopped off the jeep, trying desperately to stop her heart hammering in her chest. This was going to be sent back to America, people were going to see this.

Peggy was going to have a goddamn field trip with this.

-

"I still think this is a stupid idea." Evelyn muttered as they set up on the side of the road. Dernier had volunteered to destroy a Hydra tank that was coming back into base. And although they were going to be in for a surprise when they showed up and no one was there to welcome them, he still wanted to do it. "I could easily blow it up without even going near it but no, you have to be crazy and blow it up yourself."