00

May 3, 2003

"Are you sure the kids will be safe?" Madison asked.

Dean nodded. "Yeah, they're out. This hunt will be easy breezy. Don't worry."

She nodded. "Okay. Hey, how about once we kill this monster, we get you some pie?"

Dean smiled and kissed her temple. "This is why I love you."

"Oh, we both know it's for much more than that."

"Run of the mill werewolf. We got this."

The two grabbed silver blades from the trunk, making sure not to wake their sleeping twins up.

They made their way to where the werewolves had last been seen and studied the building.

"Let's go," Madison whispered.

"Wait," Dean said quietly.

But she was already on her way.

When she was maybe five feet from the door, a werewolf lunged at her and bit her neck.

"No!" Dean cried, running to defend her.

He stabbed the werewolf, killing it instantly.

Madison laid on the ground, gasping for air.

"Hey, honey, look at me. You're gonna be just fine. You're gonna be okay."

"Lennon and Simon..." she stammered.

"Shh, save your breath."

"Take... Take care of them."

"You know I will."

She nodded, satisfied, and said softly, "I love you."

A crackling breath sounded and Madison closed her eyes for the last time.

Tears began falling down Dean's cheeks, and he was drawn back to reality when he heard crying from a short distance away.

He picked up Madison and made his way back to the Impala, laying her next to it.

He opened the back door, making sure the kids didn't see anything.

Lennon was in tears and held her hands out to her father.

Dean moved in next to her and took her tiny hand as he said softly, "It's okay now, little one. Let's not wake your brother, huh?"

He consoled Lennon until she felt asleep again and built a pyre for a Hunter's funeral.

Once it was all set, he laid Madison on top and kissed the cloth above her forehead. "I already miss you. I won't let them forget you. I promise."

He set the wood on fire and stood back, watching her body burn.

Five years with the most courageous woman he had known, and just like that she was gone.