«Chapter 10»

He heard a blood curling scream in the distance and immediately after, a sound of a canon blasting. Finnick sighed as he set up another trap to catch one of the Tributes... or one would say, his prey.

"Another day and Another death.." The young man mumbled as he buried the net into the soil "there, that'll do!"

Upon finishing the trap, the golden haired boy hid among the trees. Perched upon a thick branch, his eyes scanned the surface in search of his prey. Suddenly, a boy from District 1 was walking through that same path, probably in search of food. In a blink of an eye, the boy was snared in the tightly woven net and struggling like he was an insect trapped in a web. Like that of a hawk, Finnick swooped down and pierced the boy mercilessly with his trident. Blood oozed out of the boy's heart, staining his white shirt. The canon went off again, which meant that there were only four tributes left.
All of a sudden, a District 3 girl jumped out of the bushes and lunged towards Finnick. Pinning him onto the ground, she then took out her dagger and was about to pierce his heart.

"NO STOP!" Finnick cried as he jolted up from his bed.

It was only then he realized that it was just a dream and not reality. Yet for some reason, it felt so real to Finnick, even if it was in the past. He turned his head to look at the clock that laid upon his night table.

"12:00..." Finnick thought "eh... I guess that's better than before.."

Thirst suddenly came upon his tongue. Getting out of the comfy bed that warmed him in the summer night, the golden haired man walked out of his room and into the long hall of the train. As Finnick strode through the hall, a sweet voice sang in the distance. At first , he was quite frightened , for it was so sudden. Yet after, his heart beat slowed and it calmed him. He then tried to listen attentively so that he could make out what the voice was saying.

*Note: This song is by J.R.R Tolkien*

"An Elven-maid there was of old,

A shining star by day:

Her mantle white was hemmed with gold,

Her shoes of silver-grey.

A star was bound upon her brows,

A loght was on her hair

As sun upon the golden boughs

In Lórien the fair "

"Wow..." Finnick thought "whoever this is... could probably make a fortune in the Capitol if they became a singer"

As he crept closer, the voice became louder and more beautiful. Finnick yearned to know who the owner if this voice was, for it was the most beautiful voice he had ever heard in his life. On entering the living room, he had finally found the source of the voice. To his surprise, the voice belong to no other than Tauriel Maethoriel.

***

Tauriel sang her heart out quietly as she gazed upon the stars. She yearned to go outside again, for the elleth did not feel comfortable in the metallic train.

"Her hair was long, her limbs were white,

And fair she was and free;

And in the wind she went as light

As leaf of linden-tree.

Beside the falls of Nimrodel,

By water clear and cool,

Her voice as falling silver fell

Into the shining pool."

As the elleth sang these verses from the Song Of Nimrodel, memories of Mirkwood came back into her head. Memories of her and Legolas running in the forest to together and playing with the animals that lingered within. Oh how she wish that she could go back. Her thoughts were suddenly broken by a voice from behind.

"Tauriel?" the voice called quietly from behind.

The Silvan elleth immediately stopped singing on hearing the voice from behind. When Tauriel turned to face the owner of the voice, her heart stopped when it turned out to be Finnick Odair.

***

He could not help but to marvel at the girl when she sang in the moonlight, for she looked beautiful. Yet what really made Finnick marvel, was how Tauriel glowed like that of starlight. Never in his life had he seen someone glow like that, it was as if she was not of this world. When the fiery haired girl turned to face him, he froze for a few seconds but then regained his words.

"What are you doing up this late?" He inquired

Tauriel was slightly shaken since she did not know how long her Mentor was watching her sing. Usually, the elleth would not mind if one of her kin heard her sing, but for an edain... she would never let them hear her voice.

"I was... I was just gazing at the stars.." The Silvan lied even though she knew that it was quite stupid to do such a thing.

"Just gazing at the stars?.." The young man repeated mockingly as he took a seat beside Tauriel

"Does it really concern you?" Tauriel asked

"Not really.. but it did catch my attention" Finnick responded "since I have never heard someone sing a song like that in my life"

Tauriel turned her face away from Finnick and gazed up at the stars.

"Maybe because this song is not from your world" She said in her head