Smoke Part 3

I nodded and she let me go.

"Who are you?" i asked.

The woman placed her index finger on her lips, trying to show me that i should not speak. I heard the sublte sound of the hammer of her pistol and prepared to protect myself, until i heard her whisper "I know what you're trying to escape from. My car at the corner. Wait for me and be careful", she threw her keys at me.

I walked at the empty streets until i found her car. I got in and knelt to hide. I had no weapon other than my fists and if any of those creatures found me, i would stand no chance against them. The floor was dirty, full of junk food wrapping paper. The smell was horrible, but i tried to ignore it. The girl would be back soon.

"The girl..." i murmured. I didn't even know her name. She could be anyone. How did she know who i was running from? I shouldn't trust her so early.

I looked up from the car's window. Not a sould was around, no sign of humans hunted down or killed and no sign of the monsters. It could all be a dream. For the first time, i started to feel the pain from my wounds. I heard footsteps and trid to hide again. I could not know if the woman had survived. She could be eaten alive by those monsters in no time. The door open. She was alive, but covered in blood.

"Are you hurt?" i asked concerned and got up.

"This is not mine", she sat at the driver's seat and i sat next to her.

"Did you kill it?" she nodded.

"Where are we going?" i asked as she started the car.

"I have a small summer home far away from the city. I hope we'll be safe there".

"Don't you think we should call the police?"

She laughed. "And what do you thing the police can do? These creatures are everywhere. Did you see any cops when they got into your apartment?"

"How do you know that they got into my apartment?"

"I know everything. About Ellie, about you, everything. I was with her when all this madness started. I followed her, but she didn't know. I assumed she would go somewhere safe, but she was stupid. I tried to warn you, but i failed. You know what happened next".

"Where's Ellie?" I bit my lip. This could not possibly be good.

"I do not think she survived. I suppose the monsters tried to trick you into believing they're human. They want to make you trust them, that's how they hunt. She trusted them once and would not do the same again. If they found her, there's no chance she's alive by now. I'm sorry".

I looked down. I couldn't believe it. My Ellie, my sweet little sister, victim of those monsters. "We have to go looking for her".

"You're free to go, but i won't risk it. I'd advice you to come with me. Right now you're injured, shocked and unarmed. You're more likely to be killed than help her. We'll find a way to go back later and i'll help you as much as i can".

"What's your name?"

She laughed. "It took you a long time to ask. My name's Kate. Tell me yours".

"Peter".

She didn't speak again. I leaned closer to the window and closed my eyes. Thinking about Ellie, i wondered what could have happened to her. None of the scenarios in my mind had a good ending. I kept wondering until i drifted off to sleep.