Always the fool with the slowest heart

Pairing: Miss CuckooXMiss Peregrine
Word count:430
Warnings: hurt no comfort, major character death
----

It was quiet

It wasn’t supposed to be. 

People were supposed to celebrate but somehow…it was quiet.

The starlings were circling over their head for a moment before disappearing into the little holes in the roof. 

She wasn’t supposed to cry, no one here was, and yet she couldn’t help the tears that were slowly making their way down her brown cheeks.  

It wasn’t necessarily because of the general funeral thing but more because of the thoughts that kept repeating themselves in her head.

She had lost the last bit that had been important to her. The bit that she had clung onto so dearly that it had started to consume her entire thoughts and dreams. 

And now in one moment, everything was gone.

Forever.

The friendship they had, the memories they had shared, all gone. 

She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that she would never see the ravenette again. 

Never would she be able to see her face again, hear her talk again, hear her laugh again, feel her arms around her when they’d hug, and never would she be able to tell her how she had felt about her all these years.

Isabel had vowed to keep her feelings for herself. Keep them locked away so she wouldn’t risk ruining their friendship.

But there had always been this little piece of hope inside of her that maybe it would work out one day. That maybe one day she would actually be brave enough and just tell her.

However, this was now impossible. This hope, shattered in seconds.

But the worst thing was this promise. This one damned promise that she had made to this little black-haired girl all these centuries ago. 

That she would never ever leave her side.

She had pursued this promise since this day, always finding her way back to her best friend, making sure she knew that no matter what, she was never going to be alone. 

And then there had been these 5 seconds where she hadn’t paid attention and now it would hunt her for the rest of her life. 

These seconds that it had taken to rip her friend from her. 

She should have paid more attention. 

She hadn’t been there for her.

She had left the tiny little girl alone, who had sat there begging for someone to not leave her side for once .

The Ymbryne took a shaky breath and looked up again, and saw the birds again, circling their heads once again before disappearing into the wide sky.

We failed. I did…

It’s not your fault