Breaking In

(Third Person POV)

Lily has been waiting for Atlas at his restaurant for an hour now. She wanted to surprise him.

Atlas is never late, where is he?, she wondered.

Brad called out to her, "Still waiting? Man, this is weird. Atlas almost never takes an off, and always tells us if he does. Do you need anything, Lily?"

"Oh, no, thanks", Lily smiled, "I guess I'll catch up with him later." She gathered her things, waved, and left.

She was, of course, very worried. She tried calling Atlas a few (read:7) times, but he didn't answer. Without thinking, she started driving to his home. She called him again once she reached his door, but he still didn't take the call.

She looked at the door. She could see a little bit of light coming out from inside. Surely, Atlas was home. She rang the bell, and waited. 

Nothing.

She wondered if Atlas was ignoring her on purpose.

No. He would never.

Feeling incredibly unsure, Lily reached for a flowerpot and withdrew the keys she knew he kept there. 

In case you ever need in and I'm not home, he'd said. Considerate Atlas.

She inhaled once, and turned the key in the lock. The door opened with a click, and she entered.

And immediately smashed into something- a tall flowerpot- causing a loud crash. She heard Atlas start and say, "Who is it?", as if caught by surprise. As if he'd been sleeping.

What if he'd just been sleeping and Lily had broken into his home? Her eyes widened in worry. She was dumb founded for a moment, and she heard ruffling noises from his room.

"Um, it's me, Atlas. Lily", she said, as if he'd not recognize her voice anywhere.

"Oh. Lily? Here?", he asked, clearly confused. She still couldn't see him, he was in his bedroom. Lily did not dare to move from her place right in front of the door.

"Yes. God, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to break into your home like this. I was just, I was-", she started explaining.

"Just... Could you just give me a moment? I'll be right there", Atlas told her. She nodded, even though she knew he couldn't see her.

He came out, looking a little gruff. It was 11 in the morning, and he usually never slept in.

"Is everything alright?", he asked, concerned. Of course, he'd worry about her. 

"Yes. Everything's fine. I just-. I called you. So many times. You didn't answer, and I started worrying, and then you didn't open the door and-"

"Wait, you called me?", Atlas looked confused as he withdrew his phone from his pocket. "Shit. Yes, you did. Eleven times"

Lily looked embarrassed.

"I'm sorry. I can't believe I overslept so much and didn't even check my phone. Won't happen again", he said sincerely. But Lily knew him well enough to know that he looked mad.

"I'm so sorry, Atlas. I shouldn't have. I was just worried, and then-"

"What are you apologizing for?", Atlas looked confused.

"I just broke into your freaking apartment because you didn't answer a few calls."

To her surprise, Atlas chuckled.

"Lily, you let yourself in with the keys I told you about. How is that a problem?"

"It was for emergencies!"

"I'm sure you thought this was one."

Lily was surprised by how calm Atlas was. "Yeah, that's true, but-"

"No buts, Lily. It's fine. You're most welcome even if it's not an emergency. I don't mind", he assured her.

"You look mad", she told him in a small voice.

"God, Lily, of course I'm mad. But not at you. Never at you." He took her by the arm, and made her sit on the couch. "I'm mad at myself. What if you needed me? What if- what if he..." He could not make himself finish that sentence.

Lily scooted closer. "It's fine."

"It's not. But it won't happen again, and that's a promise."

Lily pulled him in for a hug.

"I'm not sure you want to do that. I haven't showered yet", he chuckled.

"Mhm, I'm sure I want to", she mumbled.

So, Atlas let her snuggle.

Because how could her ever say no to Lily?