✾ Chapter 8 ✾

"I'm sorry, I asked the wrong question," spoke Commander Dot Pyxis as he turned around to train his golden eyes sharply onto the brunet who sat in front of him. "Will you do it? Or won't you?"

Quietly standing in her place, Izanami watched as Eren turned his head to look toward the vast lands behind them, set under the safe shadow of the gigantic wall that they stood upon. He knew it would all be lost if the gate were to fall. Izanami watched his expression twist at the thought.

"I'll do it," Eren announced at last, and Izanami had no idea what had brought this conviction on him. "I'll do it! I don't know whether I can seal the hole... but I'll do it!"

Izanami looked away from Eren and off toward the distant horizon where the golden sun was setting, dying into a vivid shade of blood red. She wondered where this wraith of reality would go. Izanami wondered and wondered if Eren knew the reality that the weight he now carried on his shoulders was much, much heavier than the boulder he was set to carry.

And how that weight will increase and increase...
... until he would become Atlas.

But on the other hand, Commander Pyxis appeared to be taking this answer as something entirely positive. He reached out to pat Eren on his shoulders, "Well said! You're a real man. I'll call my strategists. We'll develop a plan!" He immediately made his way to call them forward.

"No way," Armin said as they watched Commander Pyxis walk off on his own. Izanami frowned at his insecurity. "That idea depends on so many assumptions, and he's just going to run with it?"

"I was just thinking the same thing," Eren replied. "But there's no sense in doubting his decision. Commander Pixis must see potential in something the rest of us can't see,"

"Something we can't see?" repeated Armin, confused as to where he was going with this.

"Also," continued Eren without quite answering what the blond was worried about. "I think there's a bigger issue that must be addressed before the plan can be executed. And the Commander fully recognises it,"

"What do you mean?" Armin asked.

"The Titans aren't our only enemy," Eren replied.

All of a suddenly, these words from Eren made Izanami feel rather wary. She knew that it would have been stupid to consider Titans as the only enemy of the people, but it felt strange coming from Eren. He had always blown her off for wrapping things up as such.

"There's no time to waste," spoke Commander Pyxis as he returned to them. He looked toward the four teenagers. "I will need your help, young soldiers,"

Following this conversation on top of the wall, Izanami had expected that she would be sent off on her own to deal with the next course of events. She had lost all of the front-rear in the last assault and she had no idea where she was to be assigned until Commander Pyxis turned to look at her.

"You, young lady, and you, young man," Commander Pyxis said, nodding at Izanami and Eren. He turned to walk off once more. "The two of you, come and walk with me,"

It was strange to be called along, and Izanami did not fancy walks with the higher-ups, but she decided to follow with Eren. Mikasa's expression relaxed, clearly convinced that Izanami would help Eren out in case things went sour out there. Armin looked even more insecure and uncertain. But as Izanami and Eren walked together, the conversation was rather sad.

"They say that before Titans gained dominion over the earth," said Commander Pyxis. "There was endless slaughter of human life in wars over race and ideology... then someone said, 'If a powerful external threat were to appear, humanity would cease its wars and unite'. What do you think of that?"