11

I turned away from magnet and into the line. graham crackers and water. how delightful. I grabbed my fix and began to move. hector was next in line. as we all stood around doing anything magnet decided his main goal today was to induce chaos

"soooo you and zero huh?" He looked at me and wiggled his eyebrows. I turned to hit him before Mom barked in my direction. I clicked my tounge and groaned.

"that's a yes" he instructed Zig who pretended to take notes.

"you tryna get hit for real" I said shoving him slightly to the right into zig.
I couldn't help but look in Zeros direction. he looked like he was deep in thought and I wanted to ask what it was. I admired the way the sun lit up his skin.

"earth to Chica helloo?" Magnet called. I blinked at him.

"what" I couldn't remember what he had just said to me.

"damn staring that hard huh" Mag exclaimed. I glared at him. I glanced in Zeros direction again. I looked back at the two boys infront of me one in particular looked pissed. I furrowed my brows as zig walked towards Stanley and Zero. I shared a look of confusion with magnet ad I watched my friend indistinct talking with Stanley. he knelt down and shoved his cookie in his face I began walking to difuse the situation, Magnet right behind me.

"bro what are you doing" I said to zig. he glanced up at me and rolled his eyes. I scoffed.

"sorry dude" I said to Stanley. but zig continued fucking with him.

"boys!" Mom walked over and basically told them to fight. so I stepped in.

"Alright dude, that's enough." I said to Zig who whipped his head to me.

"what is your obsession with these losers" he laughed. I took a step towards him ready to lay him out on the dirt.

"the fuck you say" i said. he scoffed

"You are so fucking clueless" he hissed. I raised my brows

"leave her alone man" Stanley called.
zig turned towards Stanley.

"whatcha gonna do stan-ley" he mocked.

"go on Stanley" mom beckoned with a smug smile. I stood there in silence because at this point if Stanley didn't hit him I was gonna.

"go on stanley" zig zag pushed and pushed until-

the boys yelled and cheered as Stanley and Zig rolled around in the dirt. I stepped towards them and made a grab for zig. but zero beat me to it. he jumped on his back and zig zag straightened this gave me an opportunity it land a blow to his face- and another. I was pulled away from the boy by I assume magnet. Hector didn't let go of Zig. he held on.

"that's enough!" Mom yelled. I had uneven breaths as I stared at the boys unable to move as magnet still held me. as much as I hated myself for it I knew he shouldnt- couldn't let go of me. zero was finally pulled from zig.

"when I say to end something I mean end it!" The way Zero straightened and looked immediately at me made something in my stomach shift and the way his eyes narrowed and his uneven breaths got shallower- told me he felt it too.

...

the warden was a scary lady. her rhythmic steps made every boy- and Mr sir- shiver as she walked by.
Hector was in deep shit for sure. though this whole situation would've been easier if it wasn't for Zig Zags pettiness. I squinted my eyes against the sun as I silently listened to the conversing around me. I knew I had to be silent or I would end up punching someone. the 'Zig got a little hot' excuse wasn't helping my already weathering self control. but all went to shit when they snitched on Stanley.

"Stanley digs his hole just like everybody else" the warden insisted.

"sometimes" one boy muttered. my eyes narrowed I was one of the immediately guilty parties- because there's no good excuse when my knuckles matched Zigs red nose.

"what?" Hectors eyes darted to mine. I met his gaze he looked afraid. of what I was clueless. almost. the boys went on to explain how Zero had been digging Stanley's hole. Stanley immediately went on to explain how he was teaching Z to read, which I had learned during one of our late night conversations. the warden did not respond kindly to this- naturally. Pendanski decided this was his turn.
with every word he spat at zero I clenched my first tighter into a ball.

"what does d-i-g spell" his dumb smile spread across his face. Zeros eyes met my gaze and before I noticed his hands quickly tighten around his shovel handle, I noticed a playful smile peak through his lips.

THWACK

pendanski fell to the floor. my body rushed with adrenaline, which caught me off guard as I was sent to fight or flight mode. zero leaned down over his body.

"Dig!" he yelled. I don't know how but when Hector began running- I was too. my feet hit the ground one after another as I held my shovel tightly in one hand and steadied my canteen in the other. I ran alongside Hector. we weaved in between big holes in the ground or jumping over them. I looked back towards the boys and adults who stood there. one figure, I assumed was magnet, was waving his hands and jumping faint whoops sounded quieter and quieter.
we finally slowed, and I immediately began gasping for air. I stopped completely and bent over as I sucked in air unevenly. it felt like there wasn't enough air in the world.
no fucking way that just happened.

a/n
omg I'm grounded asl so sorry for the wait :') ik I'm lazy but wtv I made yn go with Hector because of bonding and mostly bc I don't wanna have to go on  the actual plot line and jus gonna freestyle till stanley gets here
(  ̄▽ ̄)