Chapter Thirty Three

I turned around to confirm what my ears had heard.  Sure enough, it was her, smiling as if the last two months hadn’t ever happened.

In an instant, I was across the room, and had wrapped my arms around her.  “How is this possible?  I thought you were dead.  I-I couldn’t save you.”

“Nice to see you too,” she laughed, wrapping her arms around me too.  “But I’m afraid this isn’t a social call.  It’s time, Ana.”

“Time?” I said, confused.  “Time for what?”

“For you to correct your mistakes.”  She practically floated over to my bed and took a seat.  She motioned for me to do the same.  “It’s okay.  No one’s going to bother us.”

I stared at her for a moment.  “London this is really weird.”

“I know it is.  Have a seat and let me explain.”

I approached the bed slowly before sitting down beside her.  “Are you a ghost?” I asked.

She smiled again.  “You don’t believe in ghosts.”

I shook my head. “I don’t know what I believe anymore.”

“You believe in angels,” she told me.

“You’re… an angel?” I asked.  “You aren’t exactly who I’d picture as a representative of heaven.”

She nodded, but her smile had weakened.  “We’re given free will once we’re granted a human life, but that also means losing our connection to heaven.  It’s understood that we’ll make human mistakes once that happens, and I’ll have to answer for those one day.  But for now, I’m here to help.”  She dropped her head before looking up to me again.  “When I was human, before I remembered, I used to wonder what it was about you that created such a need in me to want to help you.  It would keep me up at night.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that my reason for even existing is to help you with your purpose,” she said.  A sly smile reached across her face.  “‘We’re still the same, you and I.”

 “Conjurers?” I asked, in a low confused voice.

She nodded.  “Conjurers are merely angels born into a human life.  It’s why our gifts have no natural limit, heaven has no limits.”

“You’re not seriously suggesting that I’m…”

“An angel?” she finished.  “I’m doing more than just suggesting.”

“No,” I said, jumping to my feet.  “No more.  First I find out that I’m a witch, and I say that’s completely crazy, but I accept it.  Then they tell me that I’m some kind of super witch, and people, they hate me for it.  It almost gets me killed!  But I accept that too.  Now you’re telling me that on top of all that I’m some kind of angel too?  I mean, come on.  This is unreal!”

London looked uncertain of how to proceed.  “I know this is a lot, but if you just let me explain, I promise it’ll all make sense.”

I wasn’t convinced.

“Please?” she asked, putting on the puppy dog look that reminded me of the London I’d known in life.

“It better be good.”

“You were an archangel once,” she began.  “Second only to Michael and Gabriel.  But you lost your way.”  She waited for a reaction before she continued.  Still awaiting the words that made this all make sense somehow, I gave none.  “Mankind had regressed during the Middle Ages, having lost much of the progress brought about in the Golden Age.  People were suffering on an unprecedented scale—plagues and famine were sweeping the land.  You came here to gift them with magic, to give them greater control over the world around them.  Many of us questioned whether man could handle such power, but you assured us that you would be their guiding light.”