[33]

"Oh my god! Gladys, what have you done!" Mom screamed, immediately placing her right palm over her mouth while staring at my father's bloody lifeless body.

"And you!"Mamas voice roared, startling us all. That same gun was pointed at my mom who against all instructions refused to sit back where they were treating her. "I'd never forgive you!"

"I'm sorry, " My mom pleaded, looking at Mama who unlike her, had tears streaming down her face. They'd both lost a man, one man that made their lives and our lives miserable.

Slowly, from the corners of my eye, soldiers were circling her. "Calm down Gladys." The senior officer beckoned. "We will rectify everything peacefully."

She didn't budge.

"Put the gun down and lift your hands Ms. Gladys." The officer commanded her again, although his tone was quite polite.

"Don't think I will leave my businesses to you." She hissed at my mom, ignoring the men in uniform who snaked up around her. "You can always carry on with your petty stealing group of hungry pickpockets and rapists!"

"Rape what?" I probed, eyes glaring at my mother.

Slow breath whooshed out of her mouth, followed by the tired hanging of her hands and slumped shoulders.

"Mom?" I called, "Say something!" I was totally freaking out.

Mom sighed," and gestured a stop sign at me with her left palm. "Not now Linda, please."
Then her face lifted and she locked eyes with Mama's. "For the sake of Jeremiah, can we not fight now?....Please."

"Please, put it down.." I begged, ignoring the burning questions at the back of my mind and the guilty verdict I was about to unleash on my mother. "It's not that serious, we," I focused on Mama while pointing at everyone around me. "I'm sure we'll make it work.....whatever it is."

A loud scoff followed my comment, then she aimed the gun pointed directly at me. "Not serious?" She barked, widening her gaze. "Even you are one of those people who wrecked this business with your busybody and over zealous self!"

"Seriously?" I lifted my head to look her in the eye, despite the sight of the gun. "You stole me for heaven's sakes!"

A disgusted scowl filled her angry face. "Oh come off it! You are not the first to be taken!" She mocked. "This is my life work, worth billions of Naira and you make it sound as if it's worthless!"

Her eyes blazed as she set her targeted gaze at me. "Plus, it was your father who kidnapped you by proxy."

"Gladys," Mom waded in, noting the argument was getting heated. "Look this way please," her fingers waved up at Mama. "Just focus on me, because this is just between you and I, And we can settle it amicably."

"Of course it is worthless!" Ifediora chipped in, her voice overshadowing my mom's. "Anything that reduces people's dignity, robes them of their future and integrity is useless. Any business that stems from fraud and blood is as useless as you!"

Instinctively, I rushed at my sister, covering her mouth forcefully. "Please, speak not!" I managed to slide in whispered warning in her ears, but her eyes were defiant and confident.

"Leave me alone! She barked. " If I perish, then so be it!" She pulled my hands off her arms. "Fear of death is for the weak and truth is for the spirits and the living, and as long as I live, I will always fight evil!"

"Arrh! Ifediora, shut up already!" I cautioned, frustrated by her outburst. Here we were trying to keep Mama from killing us all and she was busy mouthing off.

"Please," My gaze went back to Mama, I rubbed both palms together in a plea. "She is sorry."

I watched Mama's chest fall slowly, followed by a long deep breath, then she moved the trajectory of the gun and pointed it back at my mom.