Chapter Thirteen

“Mom, this is lovely,” I murmured with a dreamy smile as I turned to look at myself in the full-length mirror. 

She came up behind me, only a couple of inches taller even with the heels she was wearing with her deep burgundy evening dress. She put her hands on my shoulders, a pleased and proud smile on her lips as she inspected the dress she had made for me.

“It’s exactly how I pictured it on you,” she said. “You look like a fairy ballerina. All you need are dainty wings.”

I laughed and shook my head. “I think I’m good wingless. Thanks, Mom. I really love it.”

She kissed me on the forehead and left me to finish getting ready for the children’s charity gala that the Ruddards were hosting that night at their magnificent lakeside mansion.

The Ruddards were fabulously wealthy, even outside of our little town, and they were known to throw extravagant fundraising parties and charity events.

The admittance was exorbitantly high and although it was all going to charity, not everyone in Willow could afford it. I was one of the few lucky ones who could, along with my parents and twin brother Jesse. In fact, according to our father who not only worked for Albert Ruddard but was also good friends with him, most of the guests will be benefactors and business associates the Ruddards knew from out of town.

It was going to be one swanky event and our mother had put Jesse in the best suit she could get tailored for him and had him tame back his wild mop of wavy, honey-brown hair. For me, she’d designed a dress of a gorgeous pale gold silk with a delicate tulle skirt. The shoulders were bare and I had brushed my hair up into a loose bun, held together by a pearl-encrusted gold clasp my mother gave me. I paired the dress with pale rose-colored leather pumps and a matching clutch.

Jesse knocked on my door before yelling that it was time to go.

Our parents were already off to the party and Jesse was driving us there.

He nodded approvingly at my outfit and draped my white silk shawl over my shoulders.

An hour later, the party was in full swing and the mansion was full of elegantly dressed guests. Jesse and I barely knew any of them but we smiled and made polite small talk whenever we were introduced. The food was amazing, the music was great and lively and even though we were in an almost all-adult company, I was happy with every opportunity I got to explore the mansion.

It was one of my favorite places in the world because of its majestic beauty and its secrets like the basement my father had designed for Albert. He’d shown it to me a few years ago after getting me to swear secrecy.

Jesse found me in the crowd again and pulled me to a private corner.

“Hey, Olls. I’m feeling a little stuffy here,” he said, pulling at his necktie. “I think I’m going to get some air.”

“Want to go for a walk?” I asked. “We could go to the flower garden!”

He gave me a crooked, sheepish smile, blushing a little as he scratched his head. “Um, actually, Sabrina said she’s home alone tonight. Her folks are here at the party so I was hoping I’d drive up to see her really quickly and make it back before Mom and Dad notice I’m gone.”

My eyes widened as I stared at him in disbelief. “Sabrina? Weren’t you just out on a date with Tracy this weekend? Like yesterday afternoon?”

He rolled his eyes although his blush was deepening. My twin and I were close and his playboy ways were no big secret but he never enjoyed talking to me about them.