ONE - First Meet

JULY, 1960

Courtney loved the beach.

She loved everything about it. She loved the smell, the feel, the sound of the ocean, the feeling of the sun against her tan skin. She walked along the boardwalk, there were shops and restaurants lined up, doing their best to attract tourists that were there for vacation. She'd already eaten, maybe she'd eat again later. Her dark hair blew behind her from the light breeze, her face already lightly sunburnt from the amount of time she'd spent walking on the boardwalk without any sunscreen.

In the distance, she noticed she was coming up on a flight of steps that lead downwards to where the beach was. She finally approached the steps and took her shoes off as her feet hit the sand. She wore a white dress, the perfect speed of the wind blowing the tail of the dress behind her as she walked. She continued to hold her sandals in her hand, listening to the sound of people passing by and the waves hitting the ground.

She looked around at the people, there were families playing together, others in the water, some tanning-- Then someone bumped into her. The force of the impact was enough to knock her to the ground, sand getting in her face and hair. The person that had hit her suddenly stopped what they were doing, kneeling down and putting an arm out to help her up.

"I'm so sorry!"

An English accent, one she'd never heard before. She put her hand up to shield her sun from the eyes so she could better see them, he had shaggy, pitch black hair, he looked to be around her age-- maybe a little younger. His face was a shade of red, she couldn't tell if he was just flustered or if he'd been sunburnt. Possibly both.

"It's fine." She smiled, taking his hand as he pulled her up off the ground. She chuckled as she watched him look back to his friends, both of which were calling him over to join them, trying to get his attention off the girl he'd just knocked over. She watched as they shoved him in the side, listening to their remarks as they teased him for being so careless.

She smiled to herself as she continued to walk, not caring giving them a second thought.

"Look at you, knocking over the birds!"

"You looked terrified--"

"Shut up, both of you!"

***

A/N

Been procrastinating on this book forever, but I'll at least put this out and see how it goes! First book that isn't for David Bowie, hoping it goes well :))