Chapter 31: Kink

I asked Troy to drop me off at Cornelia's Café and wait for me until I finish talking with Mickey about what I had forgotten. Did I promise her something? Did I owe her something? I began to backtracked the previous days, but nothing came up.

When I arrived at the café, I peeked inside to check if Amielle was already there, but she wasn't. So I proceeded to look for Mickey, and I was surprised to find her at one of the posts near the shop.

"Mickey, what are you doing here?" I asked as I approached her. "Why aren't you in the café? Order yourself some hot chocolate while waiting for me."

"No appetite," Mickey answered coldly.

Noticing that she's quite the moody lady today, I raised her chin and made eye contact. "Hey, is there any problem? Do we have a problem?"

She shook her head once again, making me pull my hand back, and then gave a deep sigh. It was admirable how she could still look stunning while bothered; her foxlike eyes were really godsent, her small lips such a pleasure to stare at, whatever her expression was. Truth was . . . I wanted to kiss her during that moment, only the bystanders seemed to know the uniform we were wearing. Though I was okay on being found out, I wasn't so sure with Mickey. She had a lot ahead of her, while I . . . I only had a hundred and fifty-one days left.

"Yeah, I guess you just don't know or don't care about dates," she answered in a defeating tone. When my brows crossed, she further explained, "It's not your fault. It was me who liked remembering dates and getting attached to them."

"Dates?" I looked at my phone to check the calendar. "What's today?"

"It has been a month since we've seen each other."

I was about to ask what she meant, but I paused upon realizing that her statement earlier was connected to what she said just now. Ugh, how naïve could I get? How could I not recognize Mickey's sentimentality by these statements alone? Clearly, she wanted us to celebrate today. But it was a Monday, and other than Cornelia's, I wasn't sure what local coffee shops and restaurants were open.

"I'm sorry," I said, almost a whisper, embarrassed of not being able to pick up her grievance. "You're right, though. Dates aren't that special to me, except birthdays, maybe."

"It's okay, my Majesty. Not your fault."

"Hey, I told you to drop the pronoun thing."

"Don't you think you have to make it up to me?" She smiled.

"Fine," I replied, rolling my eyes at the same time smiling. "What do we—"

I was forced to stop what I was about to say, just dumbstruck when she held my hand, leaned forward, and stole a kiss. My immediate reaction was to hit her arm and look around because I was afraid that somebody would catch us in our uniforms and use this to blackmail either of us—especially her—but the way she laughed assured me everything was fine. Her soft chuckle eased and calmed my nerves.

"Mickey!"

"Your face! So funny!" She kept saying in between her laughs, making fun of my reaction. "My Majesty, your knight will never forsake you."

"But she will steal a kiss from me?"

She nodded and whispered, "Might want to again." Returning to her normal voice, she added, "That's one off the list."

"A stolen one? I didn't see that."

"A stolen one wearing our uniforms outside of school," Mickey corrected, pointing her forefinger to my face. "And why would I include that? Thief don't tell when they steal."