The Heart is a Mirror.

Valerie's mind was in a web as they headed out of the headquarters

Valerie's mind was in a web as they headed out of the headquarters. Anthony caught a cab for them, the boy could clearly see that—something was bugging the girl. "I knew that's what Barnes would do, I knew it the moment he called us to headquarters. Jeez! They always make the most boring unimaginative moves possible, don't they?"

She didn't respond, her eyes were fixed on the moving car window.

Anthony never knew silence could be this loud until, Valerie started ignoring him. "Trying to use your talent to extract evidence? That just proves they've got nothing. You were brilliant, Val, by the way. Really."

Valerie had been on edge ever since Anthony Lockwood leaked her identity on national television and to add more fuel to the fire, he'd call her an asset. And when she thought the day couldn't get any worse; Inspector Barnes calls her to the DEPRAC headquarters and forces her to call upon Annabel Ward and when she couldn't—he accuses her of lying to save herself and the agency.

"Can we stop the car, please?"

"What are you doing?" Anthony turned to her as the cab pulled over.

She took a deep breath, "leaving." Before the boy could react, she got out of the car. "I quit!"

"Val."

"Val."

She don't know what she's doing. The only thing she knew was—she needed to get away from Anthony Lockwood as far as possible.

The boy followed her hopelessly, he never thought he'd be chasing a girl but here he was in the dead of the night surrounded by Visitors chasing Valerie Klein, who was heading to her doom without a care in the world. "Can we please talk about this in the car? It's far too dangerous here."

"There's nothing to talk about. You only kept me on because I'm an asset."

He could hear the hurt in her voice, he really did fuck up didn't he? "What? No. No, that's not true. There's clearly been a misunderstanding."

Valerie hesitantly stopped on her tracks and faced him. "Funny that...when you don't understand anything about me. You haven't got a clue what I'm going through and you couldn't care less if it gets you on tv!"

The boy shuddered, that look on her face was a look he thought he'd never see. "I said I'm sorry about that."

"No, you haven't."

"Well, I am and I am the one who tried to stop this before it got too dangerous."

"Yeah, which just shows how little you know. You might be able to turn your feelings on and off like a tap, but I am drowning here, Lockwood. You know, sometimes I just...I just think I'd be better off dead." She never thought she'd say those words out loud but she just couldn't take it anymore.

"Val. Val." He stepped forward, "I understand that. And it's not true, we need you. I need you and it's not because you're an asset but because you're...Valerie Klein, I can't let you go."

She sighed. "You have to...Barnes will shut you down. He knows I'm illegal."

He stepped closer, "that's why I went on tv silly, just to show Barnes he can shove his threats. Screw the rules. They bend the rules all the time. Why shouldn't we? I mean, why can't we change the rules?"

"Because we're nobodies."

"No, we're not. We're Lockwood & Co. You, me and George. I'm sorry Val, please stay. I need you more than you think."

Valerie gazed at Anthony Lockwood, the boy who could charm anyone but right now he just look lost and sorry. She needed to leave before it's too late, this is the right thing to do. But she surprised herself when she said. "Just never lie to me again. Swear it!"

"I'll never lie to you again, I swear." He said as he lighted a flair.

"Why did you light that? So you'd look cool?"

"Because I can see five shades and three lurkers closing in on us."

"Are you lying?" She shook her head in disbelief.

"What did I just swear?"

The girl turned around and saw green mists approaching them. Can things go more wrong?

"Well, we're right by Tyburn Gallows. It's the most haunted place in London."

"Oh! What a romantic place we choose to open up."

"If your idea of a romance is this, you're not right on the head girl." He teased.

"You're the one who opened a ghost agency Romeo."

"Well that makes us the perfect pair."

11

11. 04. 2023