The Other Team

"Mum I'm home!" I shout, throwing Gemma's keys into the small basket by the door.  Daniel follows shortly behind me as we walk to my room.

                "Wow, I've never seen a cleaner room." Daniel marvels as he strolls in.

                "Daniel, That right there is a floor! It's supposed to be seen." I taunt my voice laced with sarcasm. I remembered how his room was filthy and you couldn't even see the ground, let alone smell fresh air.  But, that's okay because some people honestly don't understand organization. Well, I wouldn't but my Mum cleans my room for me. She says it's the least she can do, because I'm so busy.

                "Ahaha Styles," he laughs mechanically "Are you..? Whoa." Daniel says his face revealing all his emotions. Awkward, and uncomfortable, is what he felt at the moment. I look at him in questioning and he looks down at his feet

                "Uhhh..are you...?" He swallows hard. "Do you...play for the other team?"

                "What?"

                "Are you..in the closet?"

                "No I'm right here..."

                "That's not what I meant."

                "Spit it out Danny!"

                "Are you gay?!" Daniel says with frustration and I just sit there in shock for a second. Ohh! How could I have been so thick?! Stupid Harold. Why does everyone think that though?! I brought Niall back to my house to meet my family too and he came into my room and asked the same question. Only he was blunt about it.

                "No I'm not! Why in the world would you think that?!" I ask defensively throwing my arms in the air. Do I smell gay? Was it my hair?

                "No straight guy keeps his room this clean," Daniel stated relaxing a bit. He seated himself next to me and I was jealous that his hair held such a nice curl. Sure my hair curled but not as pretty as Daniel's did.  Annnnd, this is why people think I'm gay. I am sitting here admiring another man's hair.

                "Boys! Gem! Dinner," Mum shouted from the kitchen. Danny jumped up obviously starving and he started to exit the room. I followed shortly behind when I heard a clatter and then shouting. I rushed to the door and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw Daniel on top my sister. Shocked I didn't know what to do. Daniel looked stunned but didn't take his eyes off my sisters face. She just looked annoyed and in pain.

                "Oi! Get off me will you?" She shouted irritated. He mumbled an apology and got up and then helped him up.

                "Well, Daniel, this is Gemma...Gemma, Daniel," I introduced laughing at my sister's response. I have taught her well. She knows how to handle herself when it comes to pigs. Not saying Daniel was a pig or anything, but you never really know somebody.

                "Um..Hi, sorry for falling for you," he sputtered reaching out a hand to shake and then his face contorted to embarrassment. "I mean for falling on you." He corrected blushing, my inner instincts kicked in as I saw Gemma's walls come down and she smiled at him. I stepped in front of the two. I placed a hand on the small of Gemma's back ushering her to the kitchen. Daniel followed behind us like a lost puppy.

                "Harry what are you doing?" Gem questioned irritated. 

                "Protecting you." I respond irritated myself.

                "Why are all of you whispering?" Daniel whispered coming up behind us. I rolled my eyes and then we entered the kitchen. To my relief mum had seated Daniel and I next to each other and Daniel in what my mum liked to call the "Guest Chair".  It really was the chair furthest away from the three of us and made our guest feel like they were on trial; which they kind of were because after the divorce Anne was overprotective of us. We grew closer and stronger as a family and now it's hard to let others in. If one of us thinks something is fishy about the person then we're careful around them. Our family has just been screwed over too many times.

                The dinner went well in my opinion, Daniel said all the right things and we all had a good time. As I Gem and I were walking him out the door my mum pulled me aside and Gem went out to walk Daniel to his car. I wasn't too happy about that, but whatever. Anne walked me to her room and she sat me down on her bed.

                "Is there anything you want to tell me?" she asked sitting herself next to me. There are few things in this world that I am afraid of; Spiders, feet, and that sentence coming from my mother. It indicated that whatever she knows is bad and there is no way to get out of it because she already knows what you did.

                "Um...No?" I replied, knowing that she was going to tell me anyway.

                "Honey...I think it's time," She patted me on the knee, "You can come out, nothing you do can make us love you any less." She cooed. Oh my god. My own mother thinks that I am gay. Anger and frustration bubble to the surface and I stand up enraged.

                "Why does everyone think that?!" I shouted at her. She flinched and I felt bad but was too angry to apologize.  I paced around the room wracking my brain to figure out why people thought that.

                "I didn't mean to offend you..." Anne said quietly.

"What made you think I was gay?!" I yelled.

"Well...You never bring any girls home for me to meet. It's always guys." She said, "And I always just thought that you were gay." She looked up at me apologetically.  I felt bad for yelling. I mean what she said is true. I sigh and sit down next to her.

"I'm sorry mum," I say taking her hands in mine, "I'm not gay. And someday I will bring a girl home. I promise." I say. She smiles hugging me.

I am not gay. I am in love with Lucy.