One

Genesis took a deep breath, steadying the nerves that rattled in the pit of her stomach. It would be three years tomorrow that she would finally see kids she hadn't seen since middle school. It almost felt like eternity. She didn't know what to expect, especially from her former best friend. What would they say of her, of her condition, of her past actions and decisions?

With another shaky breath let out, she knocked on the wooden door. The chatter that once filled the classroom silenced as the teacher opened the door. "Yes?" This was a new school so no teachers were acquainted with her. He looked very handsome to be a teacher. Wavy locks of amber that matched her deep chocolate eyes. He was like some kind of movie star. Brad Pitt had nothing on this man.

She showed him the paper the receptionist in the main office gave her.

"New or transfered?" he asked in a serious, no-nonsense tone. He must be great with the ladies, note the sarcasm.

"New," she replied plainly in the whisper-soft tone she inhabited while insolation.

"I see," he handed the paper back to her after scanning it a few more times and ushered her inside. She stood with him in front of the black board. "Class, this is Genesis Franklin. She's new to the school so I would like you to help her find her way." He looked over to her. "Miss Franklin, you may take a seat beside Mr. Rogers." He pointed at the empty desk between the window and another desk where a stoic guy sat. He eyes were devoid of any emotion and his face was expressionless.

He looked strangely familiar to her. She walked over to the desk without hesitation and sat down calmly, placing her backpack against one of the legs of her chair. The teacher, whom she later found out was called Mr. Andrews, was a math teacher. He explained to the class how to solve basic trig ratios on a right triangle. Pretty simple actually.

He handed out a worksheet for the class to do ten minutes before the bell was supposed to ring. She was solving the problems with ease when she soundly felt staring. She looked up and saw students quickly look down at their own work but it was obvious they were looking her way. It was unwanted attention that she knew would arouse but didn't want all the same.

Genesis looked to her right to see the stoic guy oblivious to this fact. He didn't seem to care about anything around him and was almost finished with the worksheet. She was writing down her answer for the seventh out ten problems when he deep smooth voice made the hair on her neck stand on ends. "I thought you'd be finished with this three minutes in."

Out of the corner of her eyes, she noticed a small smirk pull at his lips and it was gone as soon as it had come. She didn't reply, finishing the questions as quickly as her pencil would allow.

The guy had soft raven locks that seemed naturally tousled. His eyes were a greenish gold. He was tall and muscular and his skin was a gentle olive tone. The way he moved his pencil was almost regal and his penmanship bordered on calligraphy. There was no one in her life that even came close to a guy like this. No one alive that is.

"Can't figure it out?" he laughed humorlessly. "I'm kind of insulted."

"I'm sorry."

"And that voice. The Genny I know belted out everything for the world to see."

Genny. Not many people called her that. It was an intimate nickname that only familiar and close friends called her, but she didn't have many friends. She closed her eyes trying to think. For some reason, darkness helped her concentrate. The only Rogers she ever knew was her former best friend, Canaan Rogers. But he was nothing like this guy. He was sweet and kind and soft and polite. He wore glasses and always had his hair neatly combed. He smelled of sandlewood and..