one

DISCLAIMER: The content of this book do not intend to harm any individuals. The personality of the characters does not reflect to reality and any similarities are just to the purpose of story plot or by coincidence. This is created with the goal of entertaining readers.

Written in English, kindly point out errors if it bothers you.

[February 2023] "He likes red roses; he loves the boy even more."

🔸light to heavy angst!
🔸️family/life problems!
🔸️mentions of self harm and suicide!

This might trigger your depression and anxiety esp if the main cause is family / oppression or something close. Please do not read further this part if you don't think you can handle such. If anything, my inbox is always open for you guys. Feel free to rant and tell me your worries, I may not be of any/enough help but I will try my best to comfort you.

This book is the second part of the trilogy. It's okay if you haven't read the first part yet, it didn't really matter that much. But if you want to know a little bit about Sunoo's family background, you can find the book on my profile.

First Book: If Ni-ki is A Girl (hoonki)
Second Book: Red Roses (sunjay)
Third book will be revealed at the last chapter.

(If you happen to remember the original flow and characters of this book from last year and get confused, please be reminded I changed some of the parts.)

[welcome to a five chapter sunjay au]

+++

20th of June, 2023.

Jay is on his way to a flower shop.

He actually just got off from an airplane an hour earlier. Supposedly, Jay should be home, but that was the last thing in his head for now. Although he studied in States for four years, Jay still remember the place he used to love and visit in Seoul.

The flower shop and the church nearby.

He entered the shop and scanned the familiar place, the smell of flowers bringing back the memories of his childhood. Amongst all the beautiful flowers, Jay set his eyes on his most favorite; the thorn less red rose. He doesn’t need to think twice and picked up the flower in his hand before he proceeds to the counter and pay for his desired flower.

Jay felt nostalgic as he smelled the rose in his hand, the aromatic smell bringing peace in his stormy thoughts. He was about to walk out the store, but the door was pushed open before him, accidentally hitting his chest. He fell backwards.

A stranger rushed inside, bowing apologetically, “I’m sorry!”

Although Jay was a bit hurt after falling, he checked the rose in his hand first. Thankfully, it wasn’t damaged. He looked up to glare at the stranger, only to be shocked at how good looking the stranger is.

Jay shook his head before standing up on his own. He didn’t bother utter a word as he walks past the stranger.

“Wait up! This must be yours!”

Jay stopped walking and looked back at the stranger, who was now bending down as he was picking up something on the floor. Jay watched curiously until the stranger turned back at him and handed him a red lipstick.

Jay stared at it. It was his, but in no way he will take it. Not in front of a handsome stranger who looked like a very judgmental person.

“No,” Jay speaks before turning his back away from the stranger again.

This time, he walked faster to escape the look coming from him. Jay hated being stared at the most.

Jay visited the church nearby the shop. He left his rose on the altar together with his little prayer. Then, he sat on the last step of stairs outside the church. He watched the orange-y color of the clouds due to the sun setting. The ocean waves seemed calm and the cold wind blows freely over his head, tossing his hair into a mess.

He loved being at peace, like that moment. But he knew, he has to go home. No, not home. He couldn’t even call it a home. It was just a house with acting parents and two children without freedom.

When Jay reached home, he didn’t see anyone welcoming him. No one must have missed him after four years of being away.

Instead, Jay saw his twin brother running up the stairs. He seemed to be in a hurry. Jay saw a red stain on his uniform. He felt a little nervous and ran after his twin.

“Did you get into a fight?” Jay asked worriedly.

They both entered Sunghoon’s room, Jay locked the door.

“Quickly change your shirt and hide your uniform before they arrive—”

Sunghoon hissed in pain as he touched his bleeding lips. He glared at Jay before pushing him away.

“Stay out of my room!”

Sunghoon was mad. He entered the bathroom and close the door in front of Jay’s face.

Jay only sighed in defeat.

He tried. He’s still trying to be in Sunghoon’s good side. They are twin, they are supposed to be the best of friends, the closest, but they are the opposite of it. Sunghoon hated Jay ever since they were kids.

+++

On the dinner table, Jay was glad that Sunghoon have managed to come up with an excellent reason to cover up for the cut on his lips. Their parents believed it and didn’t ask further questions.

They may look like a perfect family in other people’s perspective. Religious, conservative and fine gentlemen sons, both loving parents and a good fortune. Jay is always seen as the heir, the smart and intelligent son, the future of their family’s company. While Sunghoon remained the black sheep of the family.

Jay knew that it was the exact reason why his twin hated him. Jay was always seen as the perfect son, and Sunghoon was only on the second place.

Sunghoon tried his best in everything, Jay knew it. He acknowledges all the efforts and achievement Sunghoon have made. He congratulated him, but Sunghoon never accepted any of it.

They were never a perfect family. They’re not even happy.

Jay and Sunghoon were never in good terms. Jay received all the attentions, and because of it he couldn’t freely do the things he liked. He never had a chance to decide for himself. His actions and decisions must be based by the opinion of his parents. He must not fail; he must not disappoint them. Being the favorite son was not fun at all.

Nevertheless, Jay was thankful that he was the favorite son. At least, Sunghoon is free to decide for himself. Jay was selfless enough, seeing Sunghoon choose something he likes is already one of his happiness.

Sunghoon having the freedom Jay never had been enough for him to be contented.

“You’re graduating three months from now, Jay. Still haven’t had any girlfriend?”

Jay shakes his head.

“When is the last time you dated?”

Jay continued eating, acting as if he couldn’t hear anything.

As the eldest favorite son, they expect him to be the successor of their business. At the same time, they were expecting him to build a family, to marry someone and have children. For Pete’s sake, he was just twenty-three. Marriage and family was too much for him.

And Jay never really liked girls.

tengyu_