3.

Joel removed a piece of road from the walls of the shortcut, Ellie widening her eyes and climbing out, standing on the road. "Holy shit. I'm actually outside."

A bright light shines on the girl, prompting Jo to yank Ellie down, the group hiding behind a wreck, as she uttered a quiet "Oh shit."

The four make their way around the shining lights and possible onlookers, staying close together and following Tess and Joel's plan.

Jo made sure to keep Ellie close, not trusting to girl to run off on her own. She slipped a hand into her waistband, pulling out a gun and holding it in front of her.

As they rounded a corner, they come across a soldier, peeing in the corner.

Jo curses as he begins zipping up his trousers, ordering them around, "What the hell? Hey, hey! Don't, don't, don't move. Don't move!" His eyes focus on Joel and Tess, scoffing when he recognises them, "You gotta be shittin' me."

The group stands in a line with their arms raised in surrender, watching carefully as the soldier lifts his mask.

Joel takes a step forward, keeping his arms up, "Okay, let's talk this out."

The soldier turns on his flashlight, ready to inspect them for bites, "Turn around."

"Hold on..."

The man becomes more aggressive, shouting at the four threateningly, "Get on your fuckin' knees. Get on your fuckin' knees!"

"Now hold on..."

The soldier continued shouting, aiming his gun at them all when none of them complied.

Realising he wasn't going to give in, Tess turns to the others, lowing to her knees, "Just get on your knees, just get on your knees."

Jo sighs, keeping her hands on her head as she drops down next to Ellie, the girl practically shaking in fear. The two connect eyes and Jo attempts to calm her, whispering "You're gonna be okay, alright?"

Ellie nods, blocking out the sound of Tess attempting to negotiate to the soldier she and Joel apparently knew.

"Listen, you let us do this run...we'll split the cards with you."

The soldier scoffed, "Oh, will you?"

"Yeah."

He scoffed, speaking sarcastically, "I'm so blessed." He walks toward the kneeling group, grabbing something from his pocket, "Hands on your head. Eyes forward. Hands on your head!"

Suddenly, the device used to detect infected punctures Tess' skin, checking her blood for cordyceps.

She flinches away from him, frowning, "Really, man?"

"Yep. We're doin' this by the book."

Jo's eyes widen, staring at Ellie, panicked, "Shit."

"All right. What about three-quarters?" Tess continues to negotiate as the man moves onto Joel, checking him.

"Unauthorised exit. They'll hang you for that."

Tess sighed exasperatedly, "Fine. Everythin' off of this run, and half off on all of the pills."

The soldier scoffs again, "Half off? All off. Risk my job
for half off."

He moves onto Ellie, muttering under his breath, "Outta your fuckin' mind..."

Jo's heart drops, watching helplessly as he checks her blood, then, Ellie turns around, stabbing him in the leg with a loud scream.