Chapter 8

Madden

As soon as I looked into her amazing gray eyes, the entire world went quiet for a few seconds and I turned my head to the side to prevent anyone from seeing my coffee-brown eyes glow, a big sign of the presence of my wolf, as I recognized what she was to me.

My true mate.

But as soon as I heard her name, I knew it was impossible for us to ever mate. After all, I couldn't mate with a girl who had been a prostitute in a trafficking den even though her physical features and figure fit my tastes perfectly.

From the long legs revealed by the old faded baggy shorts she was wearing to the thin waist revealed by her cropped top as she walked; to her androgynous face, thin cupid bow lips, cute nose, and those almond-shaped gray eyes.

Other than her small boobs, which differed from the nice racks of the women I usually dated, she was my ideal type. Unfortunately, she was also a little harlot. And while I liked to play with women like that, I didn't plan to mate with one.

"Madden?"

I recovered from my thoughts to give my girlfriend for the month, Sharon, a genial smile.

I would find the right time to secretly reject Nina Oisin because I didn't want anyone to find out she was my goddess-given true mate.

***

It was during lunch two days later that I found out the truth.

Nina passed by our table with a sizable lunch bag and went to eat in a corner. Nobody moved close to her and many people passed by her, calling her names, but she didn't raise her head to glare or respond. Instead, her full focus was on her sandwich, as though it was the most delicious meal she'd ever had.

Over the past few days, I'd realized that for whatever reason, Nina didn't know I was her true mate.

I was wondering if I wanted to leave our relationship that way or whether I wanted to tell her she was my mate and reject her. But I was afraid she would blackmail me with public opinion, so I was contemplating what to do.

I stared at Kyle, who was seated by my side without Emery today because Emery was busy dealing with something for the Dance club. He kept glancing repeatedly at Nina.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I whispered. "I heard that Nina Oisin seduced you, but I only thought it was a rumor. Now you're making gooey eyes in her direction. What about my cousin?"

I didn't care about my cousin Emery. But I still wanted to know why Nina had attempted to seduce Kyle, of all people.

Why didn't she try seducing me? I was single. I wasn't as bad a player as Liam and I at least kept one partner at a time, even though my relationships never lasted more than a month.

Was that why she chose Kyle? Because by staying with one girl all these years, it proved he would be faithful?

If it was her, I could probably spend a couple of months being faithful to her alone.

Kyle bowed his head and looked at me with a guilty look, as if he truly cheated on Emery. "She didn't seduce me."

"So you wanted her?" I asked, staring at him with narrowed eyes.

"Can we go outside? I'll tell you everything at the sports field."

I eyed him thoughtfully, but when I saw that his eyes weren't shifty like a cheater's, I realized that he and Nina probably hadn't cheated or slept together. But the rumors were not completely unfounded. They had some sort of secret between them.

I nodded and followed him to the empty sports field at the back of our high school, which led to the woods. We stood at a distance from the bleachers because Kyle was afraid someone would hide behind the bleachers and listen to our conversation.