Chapter 2: Way to go Kayti

Everything once again, fell completely silent. It seemed as if I couldn't even hear my own heart beating. I slowed my breathing.
What just happened? What did I do? I crouched into a ball, closed the book, and tucked it under my chin.
I heard more than one set of footsteps walk through the door.

"At last, Sisters, we're home!" hissed a happy voice. It was followed by giggling.

As I sat, Three figures entered the cottage as the sound of feet moving across the floor filled the room. They were women, all three of them dressed in what I was at first assuming to be Halloween costumes. One of them who looked significantly older than the other two, crept out in front. She had a messy head of wild, curly, red hair pinned up in a peculiar shape, and the most awkward buck teeth I had ever seen.

The one to her left was chubby, and had black hair, and bright red lips. She began to snigger quietly as she followed the one with the bucked teeth.

The third was decently pretty, I guess you could say. She looked the youngest of them all. But she was pale as a ghost, which clashed horribly with her almost-white hair.

I dug my nails into the binding of the book. Whoever these women were, they sure seemed like people I didn't want to interact with. They crept through the cottage, scanning every inch of it. After a few moments, the red-headed one straightened up and made her way over to the cauldron. There, she ran her finger along the rim, and began rolling the dust between two fingers, just as I had done.

"Well, at least it feels like we're home," she remarked. She quickly pivoted on her heel and faced the other two.
"This places looks like it's gone to hell and back," she hissed.
I watched intently, just hoping that she wouldn't notice me as she made her way over to the display case. A look of horror spread across her face when she saw the book wasn't there. She raised a fist, and slammed it down.
"My book!" She turned to them again.
"Sisters, my book hath gone missing again!"

The chubby woman stopped, and her hands immediately cupped her dimpled face.
"Oh, Winnie! That's awful!"

   The woman called "Winnie" made an ugly snorting noise with her nostrils. She twitched her head wildly for a moment, and made a strange hand gesture.

   Suddenly, the youngest one hollered from across the room. "Winnie! Mary! Come look!" she pointed out loudly.

I watched as Winnie and Mary joined her at her sides.

"Why, the Black-flamed candle hath not been lit!" said Winnie, surprised.

  Wait a minute. Winnie? Mary? My mind shot back to the stories Mallory told me. Were these women who I thought they might be? I hadn't heard the third one's name yet but I had a bad feeling it was gonna be Sarah.

Mary began to observe her hands carefully, as if the answer to her question lay upon them.
"But, Winnie, how art we alive if the candle has not been lit?" she asked hysterically.

Winnie made two fists and shook them angrily.
"I have not a clue! But I shalt find out!"
She began to angrily stomp across the room, as my mother often did.
Winnie was nearing my hiding spot, when Mary shouted: "Winnie, wait!"

Winnie halted. "What does thou want?" she hissed.

Mary smiled. "I. Smell... children," she said excitedly.

Winnie smiled a breath of relief and faced her sisters. "Mary. Sarah. Sick 'em," she instructed.

Yup. It was Sarah. What the fuck was happening?

Mary began to sniff the air, as if she were a dog. It was so weird. Sarah and Winnie jumped to her sides, and they began searching in unison. Could they really smell me? No, they had to just be on drugs or something! Weirdos really did come out on full moons.
Still, I clung to the book. I closed my eyes and began to cringe as their footsteps became dangerously close.