Chapter 5

Imogen

By the time I walked down the stairs, Tom had already set food on his dining table and was seated opposite an empty chair, waiting for me.

It startled me then to realize that no one had done such a thing for me since my mom died.

Since her death, I had been all alone.

And I had felt much more alone when my father started to abuse me.

After the bullying in school and the pack started, I couldn't take it anymore. I really wanted to die and be gone from this world.

But when I thought of suicide, I would remember my mom every time.

Especially what she'd said about suicide when we were watching a particular human TV show together several months before her death.

Back then, we had watched a TV series about a human in a hopeless situation, and I'd told her that if I were in his shoes, I would have killed myself.

Hearing this, she immediately turned off the TV and stared at me before leaving the sofa to sit beside me on the carpeted floor.

I was surprised at how serious she got as she sat with her legs crisscrossed like mine while staring me straight in the eyes.

I didn't understand why she said those words that day, but I never forgot them. And when I wanted to end my life, I couldn't. So I resented her for saying those words. Because her words would echo in my head over and over whenever I thought of ending my life.

"Place your hand over your heart. Can you feel your heart beating? That is purpose. You're alive for a reason, so you can't ever give up. Suicide is never an option, Imogen. Every trial, every suffering, is meant to strengthen you. I want you to decide today that if you have pain of any kind thrust on you, you will take that pain and let it propel you to greatness. Promise me now that suicide will never be an option for you."

That day, my mom made sure I made a promise to her to never commit suicide, no matter how bad the situation was.

After many failed attempts at trying to kill myself, I started to think that my mother had pulled me into making an oath that day.

Back then, I would sit stewing in anger and resentment, thinking that she had done it intentionally. That she had known, that in less than a year, she would be gone and I would be all alone in the world.

"Imogen?"

"Hmm,?" While I was lost in my thoughts, Tom had gotten some juice and water and was seated opposite the empty chair again, staring at me.

I shook my head and walked over to sit on the empty chair in front of him. Then I tried to clear my thoughts by talking.

"Thank you...for this."

"You're welcome anytime, Imogen." He replied and then bit into the sandwich he'd made for himself while he watched me eat his leftover casserole and warm apple sauce.

"Can I ask why you're here? I mean, another supernatural in my pack's territory. I'm sure I'm supposed to report you or something." I asked, trying to find the best way to find out more about him.

Thomas chuckled, and I thought the way his brown eyes twinkled when he chuckled was breathtaking. "No need for that. I'm a werewolf and I'm here on matters concerning the Supernatural council and your pack Alpha knows that I'm here."

Now I was very interested. After all, despite how much my mom had tried to hide it from my father, I had seen glimpses of some of the mails she received from the Supernatural Council.

Back then, I didn't quite understand the significance of the Supernatural Council but as a teenager with access to supernatural news on the secret internet spaces belonging to supernaturals, I now understood that my mother must have been some sort of retired secret agent for the Supernatural Council.

"You work for the Supernatural Council? What business does the Supernatural Council have with my pack? Are you looking for someone?"

Thomas tilted his head to the side with an amused smile as he asked, "Why do you think I'm here looking for someone? Is there something you know that you shouldn't?"

I looked back at my food, spooning some casserole, and said casually, "Of course not. I'm just curious."

Thomas chuckled again, staring at me with his twinkling brown eyes, before focusing on his sandwich and saying, "You'll know in due time."

I stared at him for a while, trying to figure out what he meant, but since I couldn't pry into his head and guess what he was thinking and I kept getting enthralled by his eyes, I looked down and focused on finishing my food.