Just My Luck Ch. 3

Chapter 3

The next couple days were a blur, as my days always are. I had tried my best to pay attention in my classes but that just wasn't working for me. This week was just as normal as any other week. Well...almost. The new addition to our school seemed to be popping up everywhere.

I still had no idea what his name was. The stupid teacher never calls on him. He never introduced himself to the class and of course, I'm too dumb to go up and ask him. I mean, it's not like I'm trying to get with him or anything, unlike every other girl in school. Mr. Blue Eyes is the talk of school. Every corner I turned he was being talked about. I was never lucky enough to catch the girls mention his name but I knew they were talking about him. No one else in school had any of his amazing features.

Ugh! Here it is, Saturday, and I'm sitting here on my floor thinking about some stupid guy. What the hell is wrong with me? I haven't thought about any guy besides Jacob since 7th grade. Obviously, I've seen some very attractive guys since then but still, never have I once thought about them this much. I don't even know Mr. Blue Eyes. All he has to do is walk in a room and boom! It's like a party in my mind.

Maybe I'm finally letting go of Jake. Maybe I'm actually getting over him.

No. No way. That's impossible. Jacob will always have my heart. I promise Jake. I promise.

I glanced over at my nightstand that held the picture of Jake and me in his backyard by the pool. It's my favorite picture. His smile is so heart warming and joyful. I swear, I miss him more and more every day.

I smiled to myself as I remember that day by the pool. His friend Andy took the picture, then right after Jake tried to throw me in the pool. I had to beg him not to, only being forced to tell him that I had never learned to swim. My face got red with embarrassment as everyone that was there in the backyard laughed, but Jacob didn't. He just smiled and promised me that one day he would teach me. That day never came.

A lot of days will never come. We won't be able to go to prom, we can't graduate together, we can't take car rides to the beach over the summers. So many dreams were crushed all in one tragic night.

I shook my head, wanting to forget the memories and not think about the future without Jake. I got up and grabbed my keys. Today, I needed to get out of the house. Go somewhere, anywhere. I just need to get away for a bit.

I hopped down the stairs and out the door, getting in my car and driving away.

I drove down the road for a bout twenty minutes. I planned on going shopping a couple towns over. That was I wouldn't have to see anyone I knew and I could be free from all the stares from people in my town that still felt sorry for me. They shouldn't feel sorry. They should just mind their own business.

I parked my car in the town's mall parking lot and headed inside. I might as well just look, not buy, just look. As expected, the mall was completely packed with people. Looking to the left I saw a mom and daughter buying some ice cream and a man, obviously the father of the girl, right behind them holding about ten bags of clothes. Looking around again I saw a bunch of teenage couple walking hand in hand, no doubt head over heels in love. I laughed quietly to myself, remembering when that was Jake and I.

I walked past the food court and I could smell the warm butter from the popcorn. I watched as a young man, maybe around my age, helped his little brother onto his back for a piggy back ride. Who would have thought coming to the mall would bring happiness to me. Seeing all these strangers smiling and laughing really makes me think, maybe I can be that happy one day, maybe even one day soon.