01

England 1940

Peter Pevensie's eyes opened as soon as he heard the familiar air raid sirens. Their mum woke him and Edmund up, despite Peter already being awake.

As Peter gathered up the remaining necessities, he heard his mother yell, "Edmund! Get away from the window!"

Susan began gathering her stuff in the room she shared with her sister and noticed Lucy still in bed, cover to her head, and hands over her ears. "Lucy, come on!"

She helped Lucy out and guided her to the door.

When everyone had gotten everything ready, they ran to the shelter and Edmund suddenly cried, "Dad!"

"Edmund!" Mrs. Pevensie yelled.

"I'll get him," Peter answered, running after his brother.

Seconds after Edmund grabbed the picture of their father in uniform, Peter sensed trouble and knocked his brother down as glass shattered. The glass covering the picture broke. When they felt it was safe, they ran back to the shelter.

As Peter closed the door, he yelled, "You're so selfish! You could've gotten us killed!"

Mrs. Pevensie embraced Edmund and Peter held Lucy close as she shook in fear.

The next morning, they were put on a train to protect them from the bombing.

Mrs. Pevensie pinned a tag on Lucy and told her to be good.

Mrs. Pevensie said goodbye to her children and told Peter to look out for his siblings. Edmund rejected a hug from his mother, so she kissed his cheek.

Lucy held Peter's hand and once again, he looked wistfully at the soldiers. He didn't hear Susan calling to him until she yanked the tickets from his hand.

The four boarded the train and waved goodbye to their mother. As the train started off, Peter put their suitcases up. Edmund insisted on putting his up by himself.

Lucy offered Edmund her stuffed dog and he handed it to a little boy.

They watched as the two children were led away by two adults.

---

Andrew watched as Mrs. McCready dusted nooks and crannies.

"How soon are they arriving?" he asked.

"Shortly." She fixed his collar and said curtly, "Take better care of your appearance, Andrew."

"Yes, ma'am."

---

When the Pevensies arrived at their stop, they got off the train and waited for their ride. A car passed and Edmund stared at his tag. "Perhaps we've been incorrectly labelled."

Shortly, a horse and carriage pulled up. "Mrs. Macready?" Peter asked hesitantly.

The woman nodded curtly. "I'm afraid so. Haven't you brought anything else?"

"No, ma'am, it's just us."

They piled into the carriage and eventually, a huge mansion came into view.

Mrs. McCready gave the Pevensies a tour.

Andrew walked up, hands in his pockets, and followed.

Susan reached out to touch a bust.

Andrew shook his head and made a tsking sound. "That's not a smart idea."

Susan shot him a look and he smiled.

Mrs. Macready turned and exclaimed, "No touching of the historical artefacts!"

Susan gave a small frown as Mrs. Macready went on to tell the four of them that the professor was not to be disturbed under any circumstances.

When the tour ended, Susan turned to Andrew. "Who might you be?"

Andrew held out a hand. "Andrew Kirke. Pleasure to meet you, Miss Pevensie."

"Call me Susan. Is the professor your father?"

He laughed. "No. He's my grandfather." His expression turned serious. "How is it out there? I've heard news on the radio, but it's one thing to hear and another to see."

"It's bad enough that kids are being sent to safer places. And it's just our luck we got sent here with an annoying boy such as yourself."

Andrew feigned offence. "I beg your pardon, Miss Susan!"

Lucy laughed and smiled. "He'll make this more fun, Susan. I'm Lucy." She gestured to her brothers. "The taller boy is Peter and the dark-haired one is Edmund."

"Pleasure to meet you all. If you'll excuse me, I've got some things to tend to. But I'm excited for the adventures we'll hopefully share."

As he walked away, Susan stared at him, narrowing her eyes. She let out a huff. "Oh, he is infuriating!"

Andrew turned and smiled. "I try my best."

That night, as she laid in bed, Lucy pouted. "The sheets feel scratchy."

Peter moved closer to Lucy's bed. "We'll be home soon."

"If home's still there," Edmund muttered.

"Now will you just shut up."

The next morning, after breakfast, the Pevensie children and Andrew gathered the sitting room. Due to the heavy rain, none of them went outside.

Susan had picked up a dictionary and waa quizzing Peter. "Gas-tro-vas-cu-lar. Come on, Peter. Gas-tro-vas-cu-lar."

Peter let out an irritated sigh. "Is it Latin?"

"Yes."

Edmund interrupted rudely, "Is it Latin for worst game ever invented?"

Andrew frowned. "It could be worse. I'm sure we can think of something less dulling to do with our time."

Peter and Susan shot Edmund a look. Lucy jumped up, startling her elder siblings and Andrew. "We could play hide-and-seek."

Once again, Peter released an irritated sigh, and said sarcastically, "But we're already having so much fun."

Lucy started pulling on her brother's arm. "Come on, Peter, please! Pretty please?"

After a moment's thought, Peter began counting. "One... two... three... four..."

The other four ran to find a spot.

Susan found a bench to hide in.

Lucy and Edmund raced to hide behind a curtain and before Lucy could, Edmund hid behind it and said, "I was here first."

Lucy huffed at him and ran to find somewhere else to hide.

Andrew ducked into a cupboard.

The youngest Pevensie came upon a room and entered. There, at the far end, stood a giant wardrobe covered in a white cloth.

Lucy pulled the sheet from the wardrobe. The sheet fell, almost like soft snow was falling.

When the sheet reached the floor, Lucy opened the door and stepped through. She felt a breeze and a chill as she made her way through the coats. She had cracked the door because everyone knew, or at least everyone should know, never to close a wardrobe if one was inside.