Chapter 41

Brooks POV

When Sydney came down the steps of her parent's house I nearly fell over. My girl looked good. Really fucking good. I wanted to immediately have my hands all over her but because we were surrounded by parents I refrained. She moved slowly down each step careful not to step on the bottom of her intricately beaded black dress and as her feet moved towards me her eyes danced with fire and her lips twisted up in a sexy smirk. She knew she looked good and it was such a turn-on. 

As she stood in front of me I carefully slide my arms around her waist, "Hi." I whispered as I placed a light kiss on her painted lips. 

"Hi." she breathed against my skin. God, it felt good to be with her again. I had some fraternity obligations this morning so I couldn't leave Louisville until this afternoon. I got into town in just enough time to make it to her parent's house to see her before their group headed out to dinner. 

The house was full of parents and siblings, the four couples looked sharply dressed and were crammed in line at the end of the Graves' living room. I stood towards the back of the parents taking photos but my eyes never left Syd. Her long dark hair was pulled up into this curled ponytail so her entire back was exposed in that dress, and her full lips were painted with a bold red color that matched Clay's tie and the flowers wrapped around her wrist.

 As the group scrunched together to fit into the photo they laughed and smiled, excited to be here together. I envied the friendship they had, their group had been close for a really long time and it was a pretty special bond to witness even from the outside. I never had a group of friends like that, I had buddies of course but nothing like what they had. They all always had each other's backs no matter what, it was more of a family than friendship.

 My heart clenched at the thought of family and as I scanned the room everyone's parents were there, except mine and Laylas. She and Luke took pictures at my parent's house before they came here. Surprisingly Layla had permission to come for photos here and ride in the limo with her friends. I think because Luke was her date and the Dawsons wanted to save face for everyone else they made up an excuse for why they wouldn't be here but everyone knew the truth even if no one acknowledged it. You can do everything you can to protect your image in a small town but the whispers still spread whether you think they do or not.

 I felt bad for Layla she didn't deserve to be punished for their disappointment in me but she seems unphased by their absence as she laughs out loud at something someone said. I'm pulled out of my thoughts when they start taking individual couple photos, Sydney and Clay are first. As he steps toward her he very comfortably wraps his arm around her waist and places his hand on her hip pulling her closer. I bite my cheek at his hands on her, even if I know they are only friends I don't like seeing another guy touching my girl. She catches my eye and as if she can read my mind shoots me a wink that says, "don't worry babe, I'm all yours."

I smile at her and Clay noticing my eyes on them shouts, "Don't worry man, I only have the most honorable of intentions" as he leans in and places a loud smacking kiss on her cheek. 

Sydney gapes at him, "Jesus Clay, freaking slobber on my cheek why don't ya!" laughter bubbles through my chest at the disgusted look on her face. He smiles at her and she playfully pushes his face away from hers as she shakes her head. 

I raise my head towards them, "You keep those lips away from her and we won't have any problems, Logan." 

"AW Brooksie, get up here, you know you're just jealous." Clay shouts and scoots himself over and makes room for me between him and Syd. 

I walk towards them making it very obvious to put distance between them with my body makes and everyone laughs including Sydney. "Just piss on my leg why don't ya Dawson? I never took you for the jealous type?" I wrap her tightly into my side and look deep into her eyes. 

"Don't tempt me." I lean down and kiss her lips as if to say, mine. All mine. 

Clay clears his throat as if he is trying to remind us that we are in a room full of people and Layla makes a gagging noise from the corner. Again everyone is laughing, as we smile for a few photos together, and then before I can stop him Clay is curling his arms around Sydney and me, placing a loud kiss on my cheek this time. "See I told you, don't be jealous, there's enough Clay to go around." Sydney nearly doubles over in laughter as we walk out of the way so everyone else can take their turn in the limelight.

I shake my head, "You're too much man." as I slap Clay on the back and we both laugh.

After Layla and Luke stand for photos the parents tell me to join her so I awkwardly try to pose next to my not so little anymore sister. I wrap my arm around her shoulder and she sneaks her hand up behind my head to make bunny ears. Some things never change and now I'm more grateful than ever that that is the case. 

We all say our goodbyes as they load up in the limo and I kiss Sydney one last time before she slides into the dark vehicle. I plan on meeting them at the lake house so until then I'm going to hang out here with her parents and catch up with her dad. 

It's crazy how close I've gotten with her family in such a short amount of time but they are the kind of people that welcome you with open arms and for a few hours I feel like I belong somewhere, that I once again have a home...a family.