chapter 1: life before

Grantaire was an unhappy man who found comfort in very few things. Some of these things were a good drink, good book, good companion, and, rarely, a good head the morning after drinking all night.
Grantaire was an unhappy man who found hatred in very many things. Candles that burned too brightly, books that went on too long, horrid people, his family, and those who told him not to drink as much. And those that saw colors.
Silver. Ivory. Platinum. Ebony.
That was what Grantaire saw. Nothing else besides dullness.
Heart ache. Jealousy. Hatred. Embarrassment. Dreariness.
Grey. Black. White. Nothing. Emptiness.
Grantaire felt nothing.
And he felt it his duty to make the annoying fierce, positive leader at the local cafe to feel nothing as well.

~~~~~~~

Enjolras was a fiery man weighed down by a breaking resolve.
He had many friends, gave speeches, participated in rallies, and put his passion into everything he did.
Enjolras was also singleminded about the cause he supported. He could be terrible, have a lack of understanding, insensitive, indifferent, and in his friends' words "never lets himself indulge in anything."
Enjolras had never seen color. But he had watched as Combeferre and Courfeyrac were amazed as color "spread around them like wildfire". He had felt tinge jealousy but had shoved it away. He had learned when he was young that love wasn't as important as it was believed.
Fire. Ice. Anger. Ferocity. Anger. Resolve.
Enjolras felt all of these.
Gunmetal. Slate. Obsidian. Cream.
Enjolras saw all of these. He wore them, ate them, held them, touched them.
Grey. Black. White. Nothing.
Maybe Enjolras felt the slightest pang of loneliness. If he did, he'd never admit it. He'd shove into the darkest corners of his mind.
Enjolras couldn't stand the thought.

AN. hey guys! how'd you like the first chapter? leave feedback on the comments please!