Campfire Company

"Well Jesse had a wife to mourn for his life,
Three children they were brave,
But that dirty little coward that shot Mr. Howard,
Has laid poor Jesse in his grave
."

The boys all joined in song under the cold and stary night sky with the warm and blazing fire laying before them. Drink and food were passed around along with fresh clothes. Their horses remained silent near the tanks riddled with holes and muddy treads. Colt stood up as the classic folk song drew to a close, he reached down and whispered in Winchester's ear.

"You know where Kay is?" he asked.

"I think I saw her go into that tank over there," Winchester pointed. 

Colt approached the lone vehicle; in the background the boys started laughing and hollering. He noticed the driver's hatch open and slowly peaked inside. Kay laid back in the seat with her feet up, her eyes closed, and her hands behind her head.  

Colt smirked and put his left foot up onto the tank just near Kay's feet. He took out his revolver with pearl grips and gently pounded on the metal hull, startling Kay. 

"You're so annoying," she groaned before opening her eyes.

"You have to admit I'm damn good at it."

Kay laughed in response before sitting up to face the grinning Colt. 

"Well, we got your tanks back," she said.

"Well... not exactly OUR tanks," replied Colt. "But I'm sure they'll do their job."

Kay's smile disappeared. "Yeah, sorry about that."

"I guess the Corral Gang still lives up to its reputation. Maho must have gotten fed up seeing her tanks getting stolen," Colt chuckled. 

"Yeah," Kay agreed.

Colt noticed Kay's lack of smile which prompted him to lean forward and put his palm on Kay's cold hands.

"You know, I'd rather throw myself into a fire than admit this in front of the boys, but I just wanted to say thank you for the welcoming, and for the effort you put in to bringing my pathetic ass back. And I... I-I'm... oh Christ." 

Kay looked up at the stuttering Colt removing his hat and rubbing his hair before placing one of her hands onto his. 

"I'm sorry," Colt shakily said. "For... well everything. I should've told you what Anchovy and I were doing, and I sure as shit shouldn't have ran away like I did." 

Kay smiled softly. "You've been on my mind ever since you left. And when you called me after your incident in America I almost collapsed. I was so happy to hear your voice again, and I know I apologized profusely but really, I feel like such an ass for dismissing you so quickly."

"You still up for that hug?" smiled Colt.   

"It'll be a tight one," winked Kay as she got out of the tank.

The two laughed before embracing. They stood for a few minutes gently rubbing each other's backs. The background laughter caught their attention leading Kay to make her own joke.

"I saw the films you and Anchovy made, and I have to say, you're a horrible actor."

"Gee thanks," snickered Colt. "Come on, let's have something to eat."

Remington noticed the two walking over and called out to them.

"Hey guys come join us! We're just talking about Springfield's incident with the Federation."

"Which one?" asked Kay.

"The one where he painted an M3 Lee orange and drove around the St. Gloriana school grounds."