CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR:

....

Emmett and Lorraine spent a good hour on their calculus work, going over the equations and solving them with minimal frustration. It was as if they were back in the classroom together. She'd give a biting remark against math in general and the burly young man would let out a bellowing laugh as he playfully teased her for having such issues with the numbers before her.

The two had this same dynamic in Mr. Varner's class, which tested the older man's very patience. And enjoyed having one another's company while in that torture chamber, until the bell would usually ring and Jasper would meet them at the door, where he would escort her to the lunchroom. It brought forth a feeling of happiness to the black-haired female as she listened closely to Emmett's rumbling tone while he went over the last question of their final paper.

Said teen had ended up claiming the bare spot on the couch beside her, with his bigger frame seeming to move almost cautiously around her. Emmett's face held a proud smile that bespoke his pride for her, knowing that she was feeling exhausted and probably a bit of pain from having to adjust so many times to write.

They soon finished up the tidbit that remained before he took the paper from her and shoved it into one of the many folders, which laid strewn about on the wooden coffee table in front of them.

"You did great, short stuff." His wide smile was shining as he stood to take the gathered materials of their classwork away, and back to his room. "Wait here, I'll go and see what mom's making in the kitchen and bring it back to you."

Lorraine snorts in amusement, "I don't see how I'll be able to move from this spot."

"Knowing your stubbornness as well as mine. I wouldn't be surprised to see you trying to get up and walk on your own to the kitchen."

The words are followed by a snicker as he backs away to the staircase.

"Yeah? We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?" Her response gains a laugh.

With a beaming grin, Emmett shakes his head and hurries up the set of stairs, leaving Lorraine on her own as she leaned back against the comfortable couch and settled in.

Her head now rests on the frame of the couch, simply taking in the calm.

The sudden quiet was soothing and allowed for her to gain some peace after nearly having a breakdown over that damn calculus work; her eyes fluttering shut for a moment as she listened to the noise in the beautiful magazine styled home. The slight chopping against wood let her know that the ever kind Esme was slicing something up on her cutting board and the thunderous footsteps, that sounded like a stampede, was Emmett's large form as he came hustling back down the stairs and straight to the kitchen.

A bell-like voice that held a laugh akin to clinking crystals sounded off from that same area of where the two Cullen's were. It had her eyelids flickering upwards and a smile slipping alongst her face as she heard Esme's laugh echo throughout the house.
Thudding footfalls brought her attention to the chuckling form of Emmett, who held a tray of food in one hand and an all too familiar game cube nestled in between his armpit.

"How about a game of Mario Go-kart while you eat?"

Emmett's smirking face was what she could only imagine the Greek Hero, Hercules, looked like after defeating the Nemean Lion. Proud and eager for some sort of challenge.

Lorraine wasn't one to let a challenge slip, nor the opportunity to have some fun. So, with a shift of her tender body, which pulsed with uncomfortable twinges that she ignored, the eighteen-Year-old opened her hands to accept the tray and met his direct stare with a brightness mingling in her own glacial-blue gaze.