Chapter Seventy-Two

July 9th 2024 - New York City - The Sinclair's Brownstone

I was laying on my bed doing my exercises from rehab, my body was finally getting stronger, it wasn't perfect yet but I could be out for longer without being exhausted and I even managed to climb the stairs a few times this week. I had been more focused on the physical side of my recovery this week having the time to go to the gym more due to MK not being here. She was away from the next two weeks and has been gone since July 1st for Fashion week. It felt weird not being there and hearing all about it on the phone.

I wish I could have been there but I hadn't gotten approval to fly yet so I couldn't and I didn't work at The Row anymore so I technically had no business being there despite desperately wanting to be there to support MK. This was the first time she was doing this without Ash who had stayed back to take care of her baby. I had all the faith in Mary-Kate that she could do it but she didn't believe in herself. I tried everything to get approval for flying but my doctor wouldn't sign off on it.

Despite the time difference and the physical distance between us we had still been on the phone to each other constantly. It was nice to have her on the phone whilst I was going about my day. I had become so used to her being around when she wasn't working she'd be at my parents house or we'd be out doing something, attending doctors appointments or physical therapy. So I was glad I didn't have to get used to her being completely gone again. I went to the gym with her on facetime whilst she sat in front of a sewing machine adjusting a garment. I was cooking dinner for the family with Atlas whilst she was reorganising the order of the pieces in a hotel room. We got ready together in the mornings and climbed into bed wishing each other sweet dreams, biting my tongue so I didn't let those little words slip out and ruin what we were building.

Today was the day of the show. The calls were sparse and I was bored. I had grown used to her being there to converse with, tell every random thought I had to and I was so over doing these repetitive exercises that were seemingly easy but exhausting.

I tossed the ball I had been squeezing in my hand onto the bed and picked up my phone hoping to see a message from her. Nothing. I rolled my eyes but then felt guilty because I knew just how chaotic those showdays were. I texted her saying I hope everything goes okay.

I was about to pick up the ball to finish my exercises off but there was a loud bang above me. "Mami!" I called out sitting up and climbing out of bed. "Papi!" No one replied, I guess no one was home. I walked to the staircase and listened closely, waiting for another sound to ring through the house. I wasn't wasting energy climbing the stairs if it was nothing.

"No, No, no." I heard, though the voice was dampened through distance. "Atlas?" I called and waited a few moments when he didn't reply. I started to climb the stairs, although I could do them, they took a lot for me to actually complete. I made it to the top and walked down the hall to Atlas' room where I could hear him muttering. Maybe he was on the phone. But I just wanted to check on him. I knocked before pushing the door open. His bed was unmade but he wasn't lying in it. I scanned the room for him before spotting him on the floor under his desk covering his ears.

"Oh, Atlas." I say softly, closing the door and making my way over to him. I lowered myself to the floor using the desk and sat in front of him slowly touching his hands that cupped his ears. "Hey, hey it's me." I spoke as softly as I could not wanting to startle him anymore. I had no clue he was having PTSD attacks. I thought he was fine. Mami and Papi told me he was perfectly fine.

"Atlas, you're at h-ome, you're s-afe." I say as I pull his hands down. He jumped slightly. "It-It's okay." I cupped his face, forcing him to look into my eyes. "You're home." I stroked his cheek with the pad of my thumb. "I'm h-ere, you're safe. It's a-all over n-ow." His eyes were filled with tears, some spilling over. I don't think I've ever seen him look so vulnerable and weak before. He was always our rock, shielding us from feeling like this. Seeing him this way broke my heart. He held my hand so tight it started to hurt but I didn't say anything, knowing he probably needed this right now. He was grounding himself as he slowly looked around the room taking in his surroundings and coming back to reality slowly.