Chapter Six

There comes a moment of utter calm, when you realise you're going to lose a fight.

A moment when you realise that you are about to fail.

A moment where resignation flickers across your face, and you realise that things have not gone the way you intended them to.

That is what flickers across the boy's face as the hands of his golden watch move a fraction of a degree.

My feet hit the hard-packed sandy ground and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Looks like one of us is a loser."

"I underestimated you." He sheaths his sword, looking surprisingly calm. "It won't happen again."

"No," I agree slowly. I'm trying to focus on the issue at hand, but I can't stop staring at the dragon. Its scales shimmer softly in the moonlight, making it a striking figure in the dunes. Its watching me, but at the same time I feel its protectiveness for the boy I've just fought. It seems more human than most people I know. 

Yet all I can think about is sinking a knife into its throat.

The boy walks up to the dragon, and places a hand on its scaly hide. It lowers itself to the ground and dips its head.  I watch, transfixed, as the boy strokes its neck and whispers something into its ear. "Viridi's ready to go when we are."

I stare up at the dragon and edge closer. "You promised me answers."

"And you'll get them once we're in the air. The desert's a dangerous place at night." I can see he's right about that. Even if we don't get attacked, it's getting steadily colder. The hair's already standing up on my arms and I'm still wearing the stupid dress from the party- not exactly practical. Besides, I've studied enough dragon anatomy to know that all dragons apart from ice have extremely high body temperatures. "Just tell me one thing first."

He frowns. "What?"

I look at him, keeping my gaze steady. "What's your name?"

His laughter rings out into the silent night. The dunes surrounding us remain still and impassive. "What good would that do you?"

I shrug. "If you try to kill me, or something, at least I know who to curse."

He laughs again, but quieter this time. "Fair enough. People call me Niko."

"And what people call you isn't the same as your name?" I demand. 

"It doesn't matter," he retorts. A current of wind slaps my bare arms like a whip. "Now get on the dragon." 

I groan. Avoid making eye contact with Niko. Sigh and roll my eyes.

And get on the dragon.

***

Climbing up onto the dragon was torturous enough. Every cell in my body was screaming to run. 

And now, sitting in between the spikes on the dragon's back as its emerald wings beat steadily on either side of me,  I can't believe that I'm really here. Riding a dragon. 

I don't think Viridi particularly likes me. She tried to stun me with her eyes again when I edged closer to her, except it still didn't affect me. 

I'm watching Niko as we move through the blanketing dark. At first, he doesn't seem to be doing anything, until I notice his more subtle movements- a tap of his heel, the way he leans forward sometimes. I shake my head in wonder. It's unlike anything I've seen before.

Around us, there is only desert. Empty, dry, arid desert. No plant life. From now and again I hear cries and howls from down in the darkness, sounds that make me shiver. Although I'd rather walk hot coals than admit it, I'm glad Niko and his dragon came for me. I wouldn't survive a night in this desert. It's a place of death, not life.