Chapter One

Chapter One

"My money's on Adrian." We gawped at Cameron, me especially, as he slammed down a fifty pound note. "I'm taking you all to the cleaners."

"But why?"

"Because I think he'll win, obviously." We were shouting over the music, which blasted the obscene lyrics Rory loved so much. "You don't know what I've got up my sleeve."

"I can resist your stupid friends," I waved him off easily, accidentally spilling some of my drink and flushing. "I'm probably not sober enough to consent to anything right now anyway."

Cameron patted my head in pity. "I can already tell you're going to be fun tomorrow."

"My hangovers are nowhere near as bad as his," I stuck my thumb towards Adrian, who had left the conversation to chat to some tall blonde. "You're not that great, either."

He shrugged, downing whatever he was drinking. The flinch was noticeable. "Well then I'm going to make sure I've made the most of it. I'll catch you guys later."

Being dragged into our conversations wasn't something Cameron normally showed interest in and hailing him down to join in our bet hadn't been to my advantage after all. There was something about his smug look which told me he had something planned. It wasn't likely to bode well for me.

"He is dreamy."

I blinked at the comment from the girl perching beside me. "Oh, sure." I mean, it was the truth. Cameron was utterly gorgeous, with that fluffy mop of brown hair and dashing smile, but he was just Cam, Adrian's slightly sexier older brother. I could admire the view whilst remembering the time he'd cried after falling off his bike into a bed of nettles. I promptly turned back to my group of friends.

Lifting my bottle to take another swig, I realised it was empty. Pouting, I left the group and headed towards the kitchen. My journey was cut short by a pair of large hands on my hips, dragging me into a grinding position. "Leish, I was hoping I'd run into you at some point tonight."

Leon was slurring and his lazy smile definitely wasn't enough to make me wish this ban didn't exist. "I see Cameron's started with his plan to make me lose this bet already, then."

"Hey, come on, you know I like to make out with you without Cameron pushing me into it. He just gave me some advice on where to stand, you know."

Leon was one of Cameron's friends that tended to show up to parties. We'd slept together once and whilst it was something I'd be more than happy to repeat, I wasn't going to lose this bet for it. I patted him on the shoulder. "Next party, I'll more than likely be free."

He pouted, dragging me slightly closer and curling a dark lock in his finger. "Come on. You know you want to."

"After the last time I lost a bet like this, you can guarantee that I don't," yet there was no denying the heat that filled my body at being this close to someone. I was drunk and hadn't had a lot of fun in the bedroom for a while. I already knew Leon could change that. I patted him on the chest and forced myself away. "We'll talk some other time. Tell Cameron to try harder next time and go try your luck with Brianna if you're really desperate."

***

Bouncing my feet against the kitchen cupboard, I spied on the party beyond the door. I was having fun, but my head was pounding and I needed a break. Cameron had been a bit too obvious with the guys he sent my way. Half of them clearly weren't interested, and half were easily sent towards other girls that didn't have a competition to win.

Still, it was amusing to see his pout every time I deflected his latest candidate.

I sipped on my glass of water and loathed myself for wimping out this early. There was still plenty of hours left before people would head home, but I always drank far too much far too fast. I couldn't handle the embarrassment of throwing up on someone again. Adrian probably wouldn't appreciate being forced to hold my hair whilst I retched, either.

Yaz and Rory were off in the corner shamelessly slow dancing whilst everyone else ground against each other. I found myself giving them an envious chuckle. They really were adorable.

My vision was blocked as Cameron invaded my semi-peaceful room. "I see you've chickened out already."

I continued to sip my water despite his comment and simply budged up to allow him some space against the counter. "Just having a break. I'll be back, don't worry."

"I think your phone is ringing."

The music almost completely deafened me when it was on this loud, but Cameron apparently had superior hearing. Retrieving it from my jeans' pocket, I squinted at the screen, trying to keep my vision focused. "Just a whole lot of texts. Oh, from my mum. I wonder what she wants." Scrolling up, I skim read the dozen or so messages. "Oh cool, they're coming home tomorrow. They want me to go and see them."

Cameron had rested his head on my shoulder, prying at the messages himself whilst I read agonisingly slowly, trying to process the details. "Don't think that's getting you out of tidying all the shit up."

"I wouldn't dream of it," I murmured, not sober enough to concentrate on more than one thing. "They didn't say how long they're staying for, it's probably just the weekend. I really hope they don't make me go to another one of their 'dinners' though, I'm really not cut out for it."

"Isn't that what you're planning on doing after school, or uni, though?"

I gave a meagre shrug, forgetting Cameron's resting head and losing the pleasant warmth as a result. "I don't know. We'll see. I don't have any other life plans, but I'm not really interested in doing that either. I just want to stay here and watch films and play PS2 all day long."

Cameron smirked. "I'll always kick your ass at those games. I'm surprised you're not in search of easier opponent. I can't believe you're wearing jeans, by the way."

I went to smooth down a dress, as I'd normally do when someone paid me a compliment at a party, but was met by my pair of skinny jeans. "Yeah, I know. I'm boiling, too. I never realised how freeing a skirt was at parties."

"It was a better view, too," Cameron smirked as I rolled my eyes.

"Please don't start. Just because Leon failed doesn't mean you should resort to using your charm on me. I'm pretty sure I'd be just as immune as I am to Adrian." Cameron had never flirted with me, he'd been a good friend that I occasionally hung out with and loved to annoy at work. Part of me knew that it would harder to ignore than Adrian's teasing comments, though.

Cameron raised a cocky eyebrow. He'd certainly never had a hard time getting women. Leaning forwards, he offered me his seductive smile: I'd watched this routine plenty of time – women at the counter as he folded their clothes, attractive waitresses the odd time we went out to dinner. Cameron was a pro. "I wouldn't rule me out that quickly." It was a gentle whisper that tickled the shell of my ear as he leaned forwards.

Nothing could stop my cheeks heating up, but I attributed that to the alcohol and my contact with Leon. Flicking Cameron's forehead, I swallowed. "If this was your master plan, I'm going to inform you that it's too late to change your bet."

Cameron pushed himself off the counter, grasping my hands to pull me with him. "I know you can't resist having a good dance with someone, even if it is to this awful music."

As the cheesy rap classic blasted out, I had to admit, even if it was just mentally, that I did enjoy this song. I wrapped my arms around Cameron's neck automatically as he swayed my hips. "I should have included you in this bet so I didn't have to put up with this," I teased, allowing myself to fall in time with the music. "Mind you, I don't remember you bringing anyone home lately. Maybe you'd have actually outlasted us both."

Cameron gave me another winning smile, tapping along to the music against my hip. He was dangerously close to my bum. "I've learnt the lesson that it's always better to go to their house if you're planning on never seeing them again."

"Nice thinking, I'll have to take note when I'm back on the market." The kitchen door opened and Adrian entered, wearing a scowl. "Abstinent Adrian's here to join the party." Pulling away from Cameron was automatic to grab the three of us a beer each. I patted him on the chest, finally giving in and sending him my own sultry grin. "Better luck next time."