Shipping and Handling

Spring was in the air, though they still didn't know if seasons existed here. Kin were pairing off, and finding larger niches to occupy together. The other dragonesses vied for Steel's attention, being the only bachelor in the neighborhood.
   No matter what Onnu said, they occupied the same Bowl, and were considered a pair before anything resembling such an arrangement existed. For his part, Pannu pursued her like a smitten lad, despite her reminders that she would not be ready for what he wanted, for an unknown period of time. She even tried suggesting he blow off steam elsewhere, but he rejected the idea out of hand.
   "You were both drawn to the same Bowl," her friend reminded her.
   "So, what, God is shipping us now?!" she growled.
   Pannu had gone on a hunt--more accurately, he'd been driven out of her presence before she did something drastic--so it was only a score or so of little kin who laughed.
   She growled, but the kin nearby were used to the sound, and did not run away. They simply went about their day chuckling randomly, and then explaining why.
   And that was how the whole dragonhold began to believe that God shipped their dragons together. Nothing she could do or say would change their minds.
   One day, while up Above trying to escape Pannu, Onnu questioned her entire life as a dragon. She wasn't special on Earth-that-was; never had been. Why was she first to settle the Holds? The first to breathe fire and steam, at least in their neighborhood? Why was she the largest dragon anyone, even Amber and Steel, had seen? Why had she brought the new generation into the world?
   Why me?!
   She hadn't expected an answer. She was lost, confused, and uncertain in her abilities. Just because she had done everything they needed, to this point, didn't mean she always would. 
   She didn't consider herself a paragon of any sort.
   Because you volunteered.
   Onnu floundered in the light gravity of the stars, stunned that He'd spoken to her again. Her wings flailed and steadied, without conscious thought.
   Is that all? Surely, I wasn't the only one!
   She didn't think He'd answer, the silence lasted so long. Perhaps there were others, scattered across the planets. But if that were so, only fourteen people on the entire planet of Earth-that-was would have offered their services, in whatever endeavors He needed help with.
   Three.
   Only three, on the entire planet?! How is that possible?
   There was no reply. It was as He said, then. Only three people, in all of humanity, had blindly offered the Big Guy help, if He had any projects going on.
   She supposed most people who might have otherwise volunteered would have had families, careers, things like that. When she thought about normal life back on Earth, she supposed it made some sense--but it was awfully sad.

   Time passed, and she recovered from bringing in the new generation. She didn't know if the other two Volunteers were male or female, so she still couldn't say whether she'd been the only dragon to do so.
   She also didn't proclaim to all that she'd spoken to the Lord Above. Heh, I get it now. That's why I call it "Above". 
   There were enough problems with people thinking more of her than she thought wise. The latest development had the zealots and superstitious on a tear, and she didn't want to add to it. Best just move on and hope the furor died down eventually, she thought.
   She hoped.
   Maybe a clutch of proper dragon eggs would settle them down. There was, as always, only one way to know.
   She knew she was ready when she was no longer irritated by Pannu's advances. By then, the other two dragonesses had successfully convinced Steel to... entertain them. Marla still didn't think she was physically capable. Half of the Bowls' littles were officially mated when the second dragoness rose.
   Except none of them seem to know why I call it "rising", Onnu mused. How can they be dragons, and still try to do things the human way? Why do they fight their new natures so much?

Her conversation with Him rose to the surface. Was she really that special? Simply because she embraced her new body? Did it require faith to do so? She hadn't thought it would, but perhaps it did.
   She watched the kin in the Bowl for a while. Some moved confidently in their new bodies, while others still struggled. Even some in humanoid bodies tried to do things the human way: Catkin walking upright, without using their tails for balance; instead of bending their knees a bit more, and being comfortable. Gargoyles leaving their wings draped around their shoulders like capes, instead of stretching them out behind. Those with claws stubbornly using bone to scribe onto leaves.
   Well, they'll see what a dragon is truly capable of, she thought, when the time is right. They'll learn why the Holds aren't built big enough for what the others tried to do. Why dragons don't need bedroom walls.
   The question was, did Pannu have it in him to embrace his draconic nature, or would he chicken out?