Past Feuds: Hayden

R. Mcneary the next person on all my thank you dedications. You must know his book by now, really... The Path of Fire. TOTALLY AWESOME!!

CHAPTER 7

Past Feuds: Pt 3

—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The woman in the blue dress scoffed at Hayden's response. Insane, she thought- but Hayden never winced. He heard her teeth grit when she realized the truth. Her gaze was burning with rage.

"The demon prince," Fen started advancing. "I've been looking forward to meeting you. I never thought it would be so soon though." He burst out into another laugh. All of a sudden he stopped. His grin was erased with a stern cold look directed at Hayden.

He burst out in speed at Hayden, fearless of a mage's power. His stern face never once wavered.

Unleash me! Hayden heard the voice again as he drew his sword. His vision betrayed him for a second, the rain, it was casting a magical mist on his face. A simple skill that could prove deadly when used wisely. Fen's claw was only inches from his face the moment he regained clarity, there is no intent in his slash, Hayden thought.

Fen's chest suddenly burst out in front of him. Another decoy!

Fen's wild slash wasn't the threat, the woman, fifty yards away, was the threat. Hayden only barely managed to draw his weight backwards on his feet as two thin rings of water zipped past his face, hissing. Fen must be attacking next.

To his surprise Fen had withdrawn, momentarily. The heavens opened up, with a cracking roar. Alex Storm's famous lightning.

He twisted his body to the ground using the night's shadow to pull himself from the lightning's speed, safe. Suddenly a warm rush pain ran skin deep across his back. Blood spilled onto the ground, his blood. The woman's discs had returned. She bit her lips in frustration, she missed.

The water blade cut deep, but not fatal. He got lucky.

"The infamous Hayden Thaw," the woman smirked as she caught her blades. "You'd be dead if Akeem were here."

"Don't drop your guard, Kairi." Alex warned. He had not moved an inch.

Fen sprung into action again, this time raw intent flaring in every strike. Hayden evaded every swing, but Fen's attacks were getting faster and faster. The fluid motion of his body was aiding his speed. He was a fierce hand to hand warrior, there were many elements of different fighting styles infused in his advance. But Hayden could match it, barely. Fen had an advantage however, he could be reckless. Any strike Hayden's blade landed would go right through him, with no damage. Fen would liquefy on contact. He'd evade the rest of Hayden's strikes.

The two water blades run through Fen once more. How did Fen know the blade was coming? Was that the right question? Did the woman know Fen's body would be liquid?

Fen's foot displaced the rain paddle in the earth as the blades whizzed past. It was solid. That's it, Hayden thought. The reason why Fen dodged some of his attacks. He had a pattern, a pattern her companion could read. His half solid, half liquid form was flowing like a wave on his body, an ebb and tide flow. Plus, Fen could handle physical attacks more easily than he could handle an elemental attack, probably. Hayden concluded from the earlier lightning strike Fen had to avoid.