winning the quiz championship 101

Knowing that they are rivals, you'd probably assume they were sorted into different houses. But you're wrong.

Layla and Vishal belong to the same house. House Blue.

There's a funny detail that you'd probably like to know. The house vice-captains are usually picked from the tenth graders. Ever striving and competitive as they are, either Layla or Vishal should have been the obvious choice. But they weren’t picked. Rumor has it that the Principal was too afraid to pick between the both of them so she selected the lazy but big-headed Koushal as the vice-captain of House Blue instead.

But it doesn't make the Ravens any less involved. They are the showrunners. Be it academics or sports, these two are always ready to win trophies.

Personally, out of all the competitions, I like the quiz championship best. It's the most romantic out of all.

A question is asked. Palms fly to the buzzer at the same time and rest one over the other. Eye contact is made.

You might think I am reading too much into it, metaphorising the situation unnecessarily into something romantic. But the Ravens never flinch away or remove their hands from each other’s on the buzzer like people who are at each other’s throats should. The tension in the air, the two of them huddling together and discussing answers, the physical contact — the combination is so rare that it makes it worthwhile to watch.

Spoiler alert: House Blue always takes the quiz championships trophy home. It's become a tradition. That's why the audience have their backs rested comfortably, watching the quiz with ease, without the prick of suspense gnawing at their stomach.

But I am all in for today's show.

Layla and Vishal sit beside each other. The two others in their team are the lucky ones; no effort but equal credit.

The rules are clarified and the participants are introduced. Then the show begins.

Ding. "1989"

"Correct. 10 points to House Blue"

Ding. "Poison Ivy."

"Correct again. 10 points to House Blue."

Ding. "Ultraviolet rays."

Ding. "Red."

That's the wrong answer. The question passes to House Blue.

Ding. "Gold."

5 points to House Blue.

At that moment, Vishal spares Layla a ghost of a smile. She replies with an approving nod. They go back to hitting the buzzer together.

The last round is the rapid-fire round. Layla and Vishal take alternate turns every year to be the one quizzed under pressure. This year it's Layla's turn.

"Don't screw it up," Vishal says.

Layla rolls her eyes before taking the seat. Five questions are to be answered in 60 seconds. Each question carries ten points. She takes a deep breath and nods when the host asks if she is ready.

Layla answers the first three questions with ease and her shoulders rise with confidence.

"Which is the only country in the world to have three national capitals?"

Layla draws a blank. Panic rises in her eyes. She glances at Vishal and they seem to communicate something silently. A language only they understand.

"Pass."

"What is a group of pandas called?"

"An embarrassment."

"Correct. Coming back to the question you passed, which is the only country in the world to have three national capitals?"

Layla squeezes her eyes close and opens them. Her knuckles turn white when she grips the chair.

"Times's up. Fourty points to House Blue."

Layla pushes herself from the chair, dissatisfied and disappointed with herself for missing one question.

"I'm sorry, okay? No need to go to great lengths to rub it in my face. I am already feeling miserable enough as it is," she tells Vishal as she takes her seat.

"I wasn't going to. That wasn't your best performance but I am not going to be an asshole about it. Don't worry," he whispers back to her.

Layla looks at him surprised but he simply shrugs. "We won, anyway. What's the point?"

At that, a slow smile breaks out on her face.