Chapter 14 || Business

Kim  Tae-hyung  pov

I looked skeptically at Jungkook, who sat across from me with a calm look on his face which didn’t give away much. Knowing the man he was, I knew he had a plan. But I didn’t know if I wanted his help.

You’re not in the situation to be choosy, I reminded myself and decided to put my ego behind me if I didn’t want my dream project to doom.

“You’ve something in mind?” I asked.

“I do,” he nodded as he straightened himself in the seat and looked over with a renewed determination. “I’ll invest in your venture.”

I arched an eyebrow, “You will?”

I did propose the idea to him a few months back, but he declined back then stating he already had his hands full with numerous other businesses he was venturing into. I respected that, of course. Both of us never mixed our personal lives with business, and I wasn’t sure if it was right to start now.

“Yes,” he replied affirmably. “You’re putting your everything into this project, and I want to do my bit.”

“You don’t have to. You’re not obligated.”

“It’s not about obligation. You know that I can’t just sit and see you suffer. You mean a lot to me,” Jungkook said, meeting my eyes.

I averted my gaze, blocking thoughts of the past that came rushing to my head. I didn’t need that. Not now. Not ever.

“What do you want in return?” I asked him, knowing very well that the man sitting in front of me didn’t do anything for free. He was similar to me in that regard, and that was why we understood each other so well.

“I’ll tell you tonight.” The cheeky bastard smirked.

I was about to say something when my cell phone on the desk rang. Glancing at the screen name flashing, I picked up the call. “Yes, Y/n.”

“Hey! I hope I didn’t disturb you…” she trailed off in her sweet voice.

“You didn’t. And I don’t mind even if you do.”

“Cheesy! Okay, listen. I called to tell you that I’ll be late today. There’s a cultural event at the college that needs my presence as the assistant general secretary.”

“All right. Message me the time, and I’ll come to pick you.”

“That’s not needed. I already told the driver, and he’ll be here on time,” Y/n replied. “Besides, I don’t want to tire my husband driving all the way just to pick me up. Save that energy for later.”

I couldn’t help but grin. “Ah! Someone is becoming smart. I’ll see you at home.”

“Yes. Just don’t miss me too much,” she said cheekily, making me laugh.

“I won’t.” I shook my head when I heard the beautiful sound of her giggles before the line went dead.

“Your wife?” Jungkook asked as I placed the phone on the desk and looked up at him.

“How’s she doing?”

“She’s doing good,” hopefully. Y/n hadn’t been herself since the dinner at my parents’ place a little over a week ago, and no matter how many times I asked, she wouldn’t tell me anything. It was starting to piss me off as well as causing me to worry about her.

“I’m surprised to see her still around,” Jungkook commented casually.

“Why? Didn’t I say earlier she’s here to stay?”

“You thought I believed you? C’mon, dude. Do I look like a fool to you that I’d believe that eternal love story you’re trying to sell? Your family and media can buy that but not me.” Jungkook rolled his eyes. “I may not know the exact reason that drove you to marry her out of the blue, but it wasn’t love or anything remotely related to it.”

No. It was my selfish need to distract myself from the pain of rejection. Kang Y/n was a distraction I needed amidst the chaos my father and my previous relationship created. But nobody needed to know that. It was all in the past, and things had changed. I wasn’t what I was back then, nor was my relationship with Y/n.

“How and why I married her no longer matter, Jungkook. What matters is that Y/n is my wife, and I adore her.” The words fell from my lips in a firm voice on their own accord.

“If you say so,” Jungkook looked amused, but I didn’t care. I wasn’t going to sit there and discuss my marriage with him. What happened in my relationship was nobody’s but mine and Y/n’s business. And I hadn’t given anyone the right to interfere. Not even my best friend, who I considered to be more than family.
.
.
.
Don't forget to vote ☺️

[Words Count : 785]