§1. Good Terms

PART I

London, 12 April 2019

________________

'It should be here,' I told Olivia as I turned left, into a small alley, to find the secluded bar. Looking up, I saw a white and gold sign that was shaped like a hexagonal prism, though cut in half, which overhung a green door. Disrepute, it said. It was a members' club, but it welcomed walk-ins. Still, to be on the safe side, I had booked a table a few days in advance.

I halted in front of the entrance, where Olivia and I were greeted by a polite man who opened the door for us. We journeyed down a narrow staircase and came into an underground cavern with a barrel-vaulted ceiling. It was still relatively early on a Friday night, so there weren't that many people here yet. Our arrival attracted a few glances, but none of them lingered; at least we didn't stand out.

We left our coats in the cloakroom before the staff showed us to our table and handed us the cocktail menu. As I sank onto the settee, I gazed around. The interior was reminiscent of the sixties, with plush colours and lots of velvet furniture, but the music was contemporary – electronic lounge music.

I straightened my back, trying to look more sophisticated than I was. The average age of the clientele was a little older than we were used to. Most of the people present looked like they were well-established men and women in their thirties and forties, so I doubted that students frequently went here.

Olivia wrinkled her small nose as she sat beside me, her plump, light-pink lips forming an uncertain line.

'Was this the place Jason recommended?' she asked.

Jason was one of my best friends and had become my flatmate just a few days ago.

'Yes.'

She leaned closer. 'It's very posh, isn't it?'

'You sound surprised.'

'Well, I'm worried I'll stand out.'

I studied her from head to toe. In her deep-red dress, Olivia resembled a magnificent rose. If anything would make her stand out, it was her beauty, and that alone.

'I wouldn't worry if I were you. You definitely look like you belong.'

A heartfelt smile spread across her face. 'Really?'

'Yes. You look stunning.'

She put her hand on her ample bosom, seemingly touched by my compliment. 'Thanks, Cara, but so do you.'

I shrugged and reached for the pine green menu on the small table in front of us. The velvet cover was adorned with the letters D.R.P. in gold.

'Should we have a look at the menu, then?' I asked.

Olivia scanned our surroundings once more and leaned closer again. 'Well, are you sure lawyers frequent this place?'

'Judging by the look of it, I'm positive.'

'It's just that I'd hate to waste my time here if it isn't the case.'

'Nice pun.'

She chuckled.

I said, 'This was Jason's recommendation, and since his father established a law firm, I took his word for it. Mentioned something about his brother favouring this place as well, and he's a solicitor, too, from what I've gathered.'

I hadn't met any of Jason's family members; he no longer lived with them, so the opportunity hadn't presented itself yet. I was aware they were extremely wealthy, thanks to Jason's father being the founder of Day & Night LLP – a firm offering legal services – and that they were a busy bunch, since each individual had a demanding job that took up most of their time, but that was as far as my knowledge about them went. I didn't even remember their names, aside from his father's – John – and I only remembered his name because he was a big shot in the legal field. As for Jason's mother and brother, he usually referred to them either as 'Mum' or 'My brother', so I hadn't managed to commit their names to memory yet.