Chapter 28. Is This The End?

A sound bouncing off of the wooden door of Niamh's room snapped her out of her thoughts. She nervously fiddled with her fingers before granting entrance to the person behind the door.

"Are you okay?"

Niamh looked up hearing Dean's voice, seeing only his head peeking around the door.

"Can I come in?"

Niamh gave him a simple nod and rested her eyes back on her fingers moving from side to side over the white bedcloth.

Dean slowly walked toward her, trying to ease a way of entering Niamh's personal space. When her movements welcomed Dean closer to her, he steadily placed his warm hand over her cold and shivering ones.

"We haven't had a chance to talk about what happened since–"

"Since I was possessed by a powerful divine creature no one knew existed?"

"Something like that."

"It was peachy," Niamh answered back sternly and moved her hands away from the pleasant touch of Dean's skin.

Niamh's action took him by surprise; coming to her room, Dean expected nothing less than an emotional reunion with a few unexpected sarcastic remarks from Niamh which he loved to listen to.

"I just wanted to see how you were and to thank you for helping us. We couldn't have done it without you."

Niamh hung her head low, avoiding Dean's worried eyes.

"I'll leave you alone." He sent Niamh a curved smile and got up from the bed.

He didn't want to leave. He wanted to pressure her into talking to him. He wanted to hear her laugh. He wanted to joke about what happened to them.

He wanted to stay.

But he didn't.

Dean hesitantly opened the door, allowing the cold breeze to wander from wall to wall of the motel room.

"Dean?"Niamh croaked out, her voice hoarse from not speaking much.

Dean only turned his head over the shoulder to hear the girl's plea better.

"Can you stay the night? Please."

Dean exhaled and closed the door quietly, taking off his boots as he approached the bed on the side where Niamh made a room for him. He ducked under the cover and opened his arms to let Niamh nestle her head in his neck. The smell of a plain shampoo entered Lance's nose as he took a deep breath, kissing the crown of the girl's head.

Hours felt like small pieces of seconds as they laid curled up, enjoying the silence filled with their breaths and each other's feather-light touches.

"I'm sorry."

"For what? You did everything right and more. I am the one who needs to be apologizing to you."

"True, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be in this mess." Niamh let out a chuckle through a series of sniffles.

"There she is." Dean smiled and lifted her head up to gaze over Niamh's features.

Bringing her head closer to him, Dean placed tender kisses over Niamh's cheeks, drying them of the salty pools of emotion. With each contact with her skin, Dean was getting closer to colliding their lips together.

A pang of guilt and sadness hit Niamh hard as she started to perceive the emotions between them, and every inch of her skin became sensitive to Dean's touch, just as he planted a savoring kiss on her quivering lips.

It was the same kiss as the last one, but different. Dean kissed her gently, but Niamh's desire didn't complain; she needed gentleness, she yearned for it. Niamh furrowed her eyebrows as Dean's hand traveled into her hair. Goosebumps swarmed every part of Lance's body Niamh touched, making him curve into her figure. A kiss lasted longer than both of them expected, making them breathless, but they enjoyed the burn in their lungs which was the least painful agony they've experienced.

Dean hesitantly pulled back and focused his stare on Niamh's fluttering eyelids that were too heavy to open by themselves. He traced a thumb over her swollen lips as Niamh looked at Dean's bloodshot eyes through her lashes.

"Please don't ever throw yourself to save me."

"Okay I will just let you die next time."

"Hopefully, there won't be a next time."

"Yeah, hopefully." Niamh exhaled and sunk into the warm bedding.

They laid with their heads on the pillows, facing each other, looking deep into each other's eyes and searching for themselves in the reflections of their irises, while the world around them ceased to exist at that moment.

"Please, don't ever leave me," Dean whispered shakily after a prolonged moment of silence.

Niamh only replied with a soft and shaky kiss to his lips, lulling them both into a peaceful state of unconsciousness.

***

"Morning, Sammy!" Dean cheered as he pranced into the library, finding his brother sitting at the table, typing away on his computer, earning a confused look over the screen.

"Morning, Dean. Are you okay?" Sam looked worriedly at his brother and his contentment that morning.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"Uhm, I don't know, maybe because–"

"Michael is dead, we are back to our old ways of killing 'regular' monsters," Dean said with his fingers air quoting, "what else could I wish for?"

"Are you sure–"

"So where did Niamh pop off to?" he asked with his mouth full of fudge filled cookies he grabbed from the plate in front of him.

"Dean, Niamh died fighting Michael."

"Yeah, but Erelah saved her."

"Who's Erelah?"

"Did you get hit on the head or something?" Dean laughed and took another bite of the cookie.

"Dean, Niamh is gone."

"What are you talking about? I just spent the night with her?"

"You've been sleeping in her room for the past three days, hugging her clothes. Are you sure you're okay?"

Dean started to doubt himself and his mind more than he doubted his brother; he stormed off from the library toward what once used to be Niamh's room.

Opening it without a second thought, a smell of emptiness journeyed through his nose, throwing a heavy burden on his chest.

The room was cleaned up from every piece of Niamh's essence with only a single memory left of her, lying crumpled on the bed.

An olive green cardigan.

***

A/N

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS THE ENDjshdudfhsd

I AM SO EXCITED I MIGHT CRY !!!!!

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF AN END???

There will be  book 2, it's in the process of outlining and character development :)))

what would you like to see more of in the book 2?

Thank you for reading and stay tuned for book 2 <3<3<3

Stella <3