Chapter 12: Saving & Wedding Promises

Unnamed Little Island, Middle of the Caribbean

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Artemis finished explaining the tragic event that changed her life forever, she took a deep breath to calm down. Bringing back painful memories was never something pleasant, for anyone especially her who tried her best to bury them; and forget them in hopes of keeping her sanity intact and her sleep nightmare-free.

"I was saved by James, fully coincidental and ironic. I was in the sea for around 7 days. Doctors called it a miracle I was alive when I was found... After we returned to Port Royal, the Governor took me in since I had no one else and raised me as his second daughter... not much of an adventurous life but I owed him my life"

"I am sorry to hear that Lassie" were the only words Jack could say.

After such a story, he was for once, out of words.

She offered a small smile, somehow knowing that Jack's words were sincere. She did not need pity and she did not get that from him. On the contrary, she felt as if she was getting...empathy from him. "It's okay. Have it been different, I would have never ended up meeting you or ending up stranded in the middle of the Caribbean"

The duo laughed slightly and as they looked at each other, Artemis gave a smile and looked down at the sand. A hand went under her chin and raised her head until she was looking at the Pirate in front of her.

"And I would have never seen the day where a woman spit on Barbossa's face"

His hand let go of her chin and gently went above the eyepatch. She closed her eyes and brought the face a little forward, giving him the sign that he could remove the eyepatch. Indeed, Jack's hand gently went to the back of her head and loosened the knot.

The white eye patch fell on the sand as he took a good look at her face. A long scar was diagonally marking her face. Starting from the forehead, crossing the eye and stopping a little after her cheekbone. It was a nasty one and he had seen his fair share of them. Taking a deep breath, she opened her eyes, exposing that the wounded eye had lost its colour.

Now fully blind, the deep blue was a very light blue-white.

"You are the very first man to see me like that"

"Like what?"

"Scarred, broken. Most men don't and can't stand a woman with an imperfect face" she explained as she placed the eyepatch back on. "I better go check on Liz," she said, trying to keep a grip on herself and hide that vulnerable side she had just chosen for him to see.

Jack opened his mouth to say something, but he was too late. The vulnerable side of hers was once again concealed and the tough woman had taken its place. He watched her walk away and let out a deep sigh before taking a few big sips of rum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It did not take long for Artemis to find Elizabeth, considering just how small the island was. Her adopted sister was leaning against a palm tree, her hands folded in front of her chest and her brown eyes locked on the vast sea.

"Hey"

"Hey," she greeted back. "Finished talking?"

"Yes. Finished being angry?"

"Sort of. We cannot stay here Artemis. We have to do something and go and save Will"

"I know. I know" She placed a hand on the shoulder of the younger woman and gave a sad smile. "We cannot do much though, not now... not in our situation"