Chapter 27: Breaking the Rules: Part II

"For the millionth time, it's your turn—" The last two words were drawn out emphatically and in such a tone that fully displayed the speaker's annoyance. "Ugh, this is why I hate playing cards with you. You take FOREVER. Just pick already! Every move doesn't have to be a dissertation!"

"You say that, Kaveh, but you already know that I am going to win precisely because of my aptitude."

"You calling me dumb now? Really? It's true I cannot match your arrogance—" From the other side of the table, a loud sigh caused the Sumeru architect to pause. "Look, you're boring our company," he added, crashing back against the spine of his chair and twirling the stem of his wine glass between his thumb and forefinger, causing the deep hues of violet and burgundy to dance threateningly around the rim.

When Kaveh was irritated, he made a very particular face that those closest to him knew how to read. And he fidgeted with things in his grasp—from glasses, to writing utensils, to the barrettes in his hair. His agitation was an open book, and no one knew how to rustle its pages better than the menacing, albeit studious, man beside him.

Cyno shook his head. "We're not bored."

"Not at all," echoed Tighnari.

"If anything, we're amused."

"See?" Alhaitham shrugged. "The only spectacle is in your mind."

"Besides," added the General Mahamatra, "intellect isn't the only factor in this game. You mustn't discount strength."

"Oh?" Kaveh was quick to jump in again, thinking that Cyno was taking Alhaitham's side. "And how strong is he? Stronger than you?"

Cyno crossed his arms defiantly. "Hmph. Of course not."

"Then why haven't you won a single round?"

"Why haven't you?"

"I never claimed to be strong," pouted Kaveh aggressively.

"Or smart."

"Really? You too, Tighnari? You're all against me. Each one of you!"

The Forest Watcher's long ears twitched. It was an unconscious movement that Cyno could translate well enough: it meant that he felt awkward and self-aware. "Uh, sorry, Kaveh!"

"My friends are only like this when you're around, you know," Kaveh once again turned to Alhaitham. "You're a bad influence on everyone."

"Am I?"

"Yes! You're moody and vainglorious, and the only time you open your mouth, it's to be a dick—"

"Such ugly language out of those pretty lips."

Kaveh blushed ferociously, his words all imploding before he had the chance to utter them. Instead, any protest he meant to say aloud came out in mere whimpers. And when he felt the pressure against the side of his foot, followed by the firm gripping of his landlord's hand upon his thigh—Kaveh was unable to process anything further.

"See? How could we be bored?" chuckled Tighnari. "It feels like we're back in the Akademiya."

"Archons, don't bring that up again. Those days are better off in the past," said Cyno.

"What, we had fun, didn't we? Don't you ever miss the days when all we had to worry about was scoring marks on exams and finding ways to function without sleep?"