Chapter 1: The Magic School Bus

The two leaned closer, eyes drooping and breathe fanning onto the other's face. The early morning light shone dimly through the kitchen's moss-green window, capturing the magical moment. The man cupped his wife's chocolate brown, round face, admiring her soft grey eyes as the light danced across them. She giggled slightly, the sound of an angel escaping her mouth, her loved one smiling gently at the sound. Then their lips touched delicately, the two happy that they would wake up in each other's arms every morning for the rest of their lives.

"Ewwww, Mummy and Daddy are kissing again!" A tiny girl with messy, dark brown hair peeked from behind a doorway, scrunching her nose in disgust and covering the eyes of the tiny, blonde dog she held in one arm.
"Poppy and I don' t wanna see this!" The girl complained, tilting her head to look away.

"Well, me and your Daddy kiss because we love each other. And someday when you grow up, you'll fall in love with someone and marry them just like your dad and I, and you'll live happily ever after." The woman responded, bending down to pat the fluffy, fair dog before looking down at the chubby child grinning at her cheekily.

"Now, who wants breakfast?" She laughed cheerfully, picking up the child and placing her in her seat at the table, the dog scurrying off under the table in hopes of catching any food that dropped.

That was years ago now, but the memory was only now resurfacing as the tiny girl, now fully developed into a 14-year-old, stood before the empty shell of that same kitchen. The once happy and laughing family that filled the kitchen with life was gone, one lost to a group of angry, shouting people and the other two grown-up and ready to move out.

The girl had coffee-brown skin and short, once brown hair now curly and black, parted down the middle to reveal the lightly freckled skin underneath. Her round eyes were a pleasantly dark brown that complimented her skin. Yet they lacked a shine, a signal of life. The pupils always looked too big, as if her eyes were going to be consumed by the black holes at any second. And she was short and too skinny, making her look as if she had been recently raised from the dead. Ever since her life fell into shambles a few years ago, eating hadn't been on the top of her to-do list, and it still wasn't. Yet the teen still tried and cover the bony frame she was self-conscious about, wearing a baggy pink shirt with a strawberry in the middle, and a pair of pasty blue tracksuit pants. Her shoes were old and damaged, the once shining white now just a dull ivory, the laces frayed.

The man from the memory walked over, placing his hands on his hips, trying to look brave, before opening his mouth.

He was pale, with messy long brown hair that he typically wore in a loose bun. His eyes matched his daughter's, only they were a bit darker and had a spark that made his eyes look as if he were smiling on the inside all the time. He was dressed in a loose, open green Hawaii shirt with a white t-shirt underneath, and a simple pair of dark jeans and lime green sandals that matched his top layer.

"It's for the best that we leave this place behind and go make new memories. You at your school for magic and me in a different town."

A moment of silence ensued his comment, before the girl responded cold-heartedly, yet a sniffle sound floated from her direction.

"I know." But it feels like we're betraying her, the girl crossed her arms over her small chest. She felt her eyes redden as she quickly moved her face to look at the ground, not wanting to seem weak to the man beside her, even though they were family. Luckily, the taller of the two seemingly didn't notice.

"Well champ, I'm sure she would want us to move on and find happiness again, and I think the best way to do this is a fresh start." The man replied, messing with the short, fluffy hair of his child. The girl swatted it away with a scrawny hand, the other moving to place the dark strands back in place even though her hair seemed to know nothing but mess.