Chapter twenty-nine - A happy resolution

Anabelle spent a few minutes calming her step-mother's flustered sensibilities, but Mrs Latimer's attention soon fell upon more important matters when Sir Henry sought out her sister for the next dance.

The sight of them together caused Mrs Latimer's feather to shiver with maternal pride. "You know they have danced once already. For Sir Henry to ask Selina again is a very good sign, don't you think?"

"She looks very happy," Anabelle said, not wishing to raise her step-mother's expectations beyond what was reasonable.

"What an excellent thing it will be to have two daughters married!"

"Do you not think it a little early to consider Selina as good as married? This is only the second time they have met. I think she and Sir Henry ought to become better acquainted before we can say with any certainty where it may lead."

"Yes, but Sir Henry did say that he plans to spend the winter at Blackwood, so they will have every opportunity to socialise frequently." Mrs Latimer peered across the room. "Who is that gentleman over there, speaking with Miss Mountford?"

Anabelle followed Mrs Latimer's gaze. "That is Mr. Langdale. A cousin of theirs, I believe, and a guest of Sir Henry at Blackwood."

"Hmm. He is very well dressed, and his deportment seems refined. Do you know anything of his situation?"

"No, ma'am. I know no more of him than his name."

Mrs Latimer sighed. "You will soon be a married woman, Anabelle, with a responsibility to think of your sisters' future happiness. You must be alive to every opportunity. Mr. Langdale could be perfect for Diana. I wonder if he has any fortune? I must ask my sister if she knows anything of the gentleman." Seeing Mrs Orton across the room, Mrs Latimer left Anabelle to her own devices.

She had barely had a moment to wonder where Mr. Fielding was before he appeared at her side, bearing a glass of lemonade. Once she had refreshed herself he said, "May I tempt you back onto the dance floor, Miss Latimer?"

"If you are willing to suffer through another crush for the sake of dancing with me, your admiration must be stronger than even I realised."

His dark eyes looked down into hers, as though searching her very soul. "You are exquisite, and well you know it. I have never much enjoyed dancing before, but it seems that I only needed the right partner."

Not yet accustomed to his flattery, Anabelle felt herself colour. She held out her hand as the band struck up the first notes of a cotillion. "In that case it would be cruel of me to refuse you."

By this time the floor was quite crowded and, to avoid bumping into anyone, Mr. Fielding pulled her closer to his side than was proper, his eyes never leaving hers unless he was forced by the steps to cast off or otherwise turn away. Within their circle of four couples she was never more than a few steps from Mr. Fielding, and when his hand reached for hers it felt more intimate than with any of the other gentlemen in their group.

While she waited to take her turn Anabelle grew sensible of the conversations swirling around them. As always while dancing the exchange of local gossip was almost as important as the figures, and snippets of news swapped hands with a greater frequency than one changed partners.

As she circled around the outside of their group she caught brief scraps of gossip.

"...he has family in the north, you know, near Scarborough..."

She thought it very natural that Sir Henry would be the object of such interest and speculation in a neighbourhood where he had recently become resident. No less than now, when he had charmed them all with his cheerful and easygoing nature.