Chapter Thirteen

Light the candle and let it fill the room.

*

When we stepped into my bedroom, only the laptop light brightened the space. It sat in the center of my bed, screen faced the door. My word document was up, opened, and ready.

With my tea in one hand, I reached to the side wall to flick on the light. The yellow hue made my blankets glow.

Franny scurried between us and hopped onto a pillow.

"Room's spacious," Reece said, sipping his tea. "This entire apartment is decent. I should've applied here to rent instead of the other building."

Yes, then we could've been neighbors

"I think there's an apartment available down the hall." I drank from my cup and faced him. "I can give you management's number so you can ask... if you want."

"Oh yeah?" He spun in a slow circle before seeing the small microwave table. Hovering his cup over it, he glanced back at me for approval. I giggled and nodded, and he politely placed the small ceramic cup with a tink. "I'll take the info if you got it. And if management don't mind me calling."

"I don't think they'll mind." I put my teacup next to his. "They usually ask us for people, you know. Possible good renters."

"That's cool."

He shot me that beautiful smile, auburn eyes shimmering in my room's light. I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth before quickly turning for my bed. Time to write. Time to read. Reece made me so nervous I couldn't think straight.

"So, here we go." I sat at the top of my bed so my back was against the wall. I pulled the laptop closer to my leg, then patted the spot beside me "You can sit," I said.

Reece didn't hesitate, but he did pause to take off his shoes. He neatly placed on beside the bed before sitting next to me. Franny quickly hopped off the bed, scurrying off with a glance back at us. When he stretched out his legs in front of him, I giggled and did the same. My feet couldn't reach his; I was so much shorter than him.

"Sorry about Franny," he said, watching my cat leave the room. Then he looked at my feet desperately trying to reach his. "Cute socks, by the way."

"Oh, she'll be okay. Sometimes she knows when to leave." I stared at the fuzzy pink warmth covering my feet with a smile. They were cute. I loved my socks. Turning my smile into a smirk, I looked at him. "Sometimes is the keyword."

Snickering, Reece pointed at the computer. "Is this where we are?"

Biting my lip, I quickly glanced at him. He said we. There was no way he knew the characters' inspirations. But to say we made me think...

Yes, we're here. Zeke and Cari infiltrated an android base. Zeke uploaded the software. And Cari is clinging to his strength to stay afloat.

"Can I see?" Reece raised his eyebrows, inching toward the laptop. "You want me to read, right?"

"I do," I said, then passed him my computer. "It's chapter twelve. I'm already at the height of the story, with the climax and point to it all, and I'm worried. Did I get here too soon?"

"It's okay," he said and placed it on his lap, "let me check this out and I'll give you some notes."

"Okay." I couldn't just sit here in silence. That would be awkward. I thought of humming, clicking my heels together, but that would be annoying. He needed to focus, right? He needed to lock in.

As he tapped the space key to keep the laptop bright, I slid off the corner of the bed and then grabbed our tea cups. "I'll get us more tea."

*