Chapter 28

You were first aware of the severely uncomfortable position your body was resting in. You had almost slid off the concrete wall behind you, the surface now providing you with no support.

You groaned, blindly and instinctively using your arms to try and prop yourself up again.

Then came the pain, pain so blinding your harsh gasp rang out throughout the building. Your breath stuttered, and you grit your teeth to prevent yourself from screaming again at the throb in your side.

"Glad to see you're awake."

You flinched, the action sending another spark of agony down your spine, before relaxing at the familiar voice.

"Hurts."

"I would believe so. The bullet didn't hit any vital organs. You're lucky."

"Delightful," you muttered dryly.

"It would seem so. Can you open your eyes?"

You let out a shaky breath, suddenly realising that your eyes have been screwed shut since the moment your side decided to be a bitch.

Your eyes flickered open, trying to blink the blur away. You registered the fact that the sky was rapidly dimming, and if you had to assume, it would be a couple hours until midnight. You glanced back at Chishiya, who was standing about a metre away, hands shoved into his hoodie pocket.

"How long?"

"Barely a day."

You let out a small breath of relief, and wondered if Chishiya would have just left you there if you hadn't woken up in time. You didn't have to wonder long.

"If you didn't wake up, I would have left without you."

"Charming. I can feel the compassion from here."

He cocked his head, "someone's in a bad mood."

"I got shot, asshole."

"And I saved you. Again. Surely you can spare a couple nice words."

You opted for glaring, because you decided that he didn't deserve your sarcastic words, but didn't want to thank him.

He shrugged, before gesturing somewhere in the distance.

"If you don't want a laser through your skull tonight, I suggest we get moving."

You almost laughed, the only thing stopping you is the promise of pain if you proceed.

"I can't exactly move."

"Well, figure it out. I won't wait."

With shaky arms, you placed it against the cold concrete floor. You tried to be optimistic, after the undoubtedly excruciating pain that was to come from trying to stand, once you were actually upright, everything will be okay, right?

You started applying pressure and only got about two inches off the floor before the sharp stab of pain had your arms immediately give out from under you.

You heard a small snort, and you would have punched him right then and there if you could move.

"Help me." You ordered, tone slightly harsh.

You were waiting for his retaliation, maybe he would say something along the lines of 'what's the magic word?' or maybe just a flat 'no'.

What you didn't expect was him stepping closer, careful to avoid your wound as he gripped your underarms.

"Use your legs."

You were slightly confused, but when he started hoisting you up, you realised he wanted you to push yourself up.

Ignoring the waves of agony rolling down your spine, you focused on stabilising your legs. They were numb after the blood flow had been cut off due to your horrible posture, and you fought back the urge to berate Chishiya for leaving you like that.

Once you were standing, the pain had subsided to a dull throb, and you let out a triumphant smile.

"Don't look so happy, I did all the work."

You ignored him.

Limping to the exit, you peeked around the corner, and let your stomach drop at the sight of numerous bodies strung across the street. Blood was splattered everywhere, seeping into the once-grey concrete, and your heart ached.

"Are you going to keep standing there and mourn or are you going to keep moving?"

You flipped him off over your shoulder, and you heard a light huff in response.

"What's the closest game?"

You heard a hum, "Jack of Spades."

Your stomach plummeted.

"There's also a Jack of Hearts nearby."

There it was. Hope planted and festered. You cocked your head back, "let's go to Jack of Hearts."

He shuffled closer, and you were surprised to see his expression was something akin to apprehension.

"Okay."

With that he left the building. You internally cussed him out and started limping out the door.

The cool evening breeze was welcomed. Looking up, you saw multiple blimps littering the city sky, and seeing those reminded you of Tatta.

Your mood darkened, and you felt so damn useless. He had saved your life, and all you could do in return was let him go knowing he was going to die.

You had planned to save him for so long, letting him live was at the top of your to-do-list and you had royally fucked it up.

Guilt, regret and so many other smotions swirled within you, and tears started prickling your eyes.

You've been crying a lot lately, but funnily enough, you couldn't bring yourself to care.