The truth unveiled

I stumbled backwards, still panting from the long run. As I looked up, I saw a pair of obsidan eyes watching me. He rubbed the back of his neck, then put his hand on the doorknob.

I had the feeling that he wanted to slam the door shut, but I kept him waiting.

- Would you like to come in?- he asked politely, suppressing his coldness.

- Thank you,- I could feel my blood freezing. The hall was enormous, although it would use a bit of cleaning. There were old pictures on the walls, only one of them covered with a velvet cloth. It caught my attention. Wonder what could be behind it?

- Would you like some tea on the balcony?- his voice interrupted my thoughts.

He pulled the chair back for me, and surprised me with that, because, as I mentioned before, I haven't dated anyone but country cats.

As I sat down, I remembered something.

- What's your name.

- William... William Reinhart... the third, if it has any value.- he said snobbishly.

- Dang, not even colse.

William gave me a questioning look.

- When I told mom I crashed into you yesterday, she demanded to know your name. So I said it was Ricky Vega.

- You made me sound like a pimp.

- Yeah, dad thinks that's your profession.

There was clear insult on his face.

- Sorry. Don't expect much manners from dad. He's a carpenter.

- What kind of tea do you prefer, black or white?- he asked, pouring himself something from a green bottle. It was red.

- What kind of tea is that?- I asked.

- That's... er.... medicine. 

Smells funny- I thought, but found it unnecessary to say that aloud. 

A short sneak peek into William's thoughts

She's just like she was before. How could I ever have done it?! I have never hated anyone as much as I hate myself. But now everything will change. It seems like God himself had given me a chance. She is smarter than she looks. That dress... She figured it all out...

He was looking into his cup, obviously lost in his thoughts. I decided that it was time to reveal my suspitions. I was risking a lot. What if he was really just a collector? What if I was going to look insane to him? It was worth the risk.

- Er... William?

- Yes?- he raised his head. I gathered my breath.

- Is this Meredith's dress? - I asked, handing him the folded dress. He took it carefully, and unfolded it. 

- Yes...- he whispered- it's her dress.... She wore it when...

- When?- I repeated.

- Ahem... As a future founder of a museum in her honour, I happen to know details about her death.- the guy won't give up, will he?!

- She was murdered by a jelaous lover?- I started moving towards what I wanted to hear.

- No.

- By a relative.

- No.- pain crossed his face. He sighed.

- I killed her.