Chapter 6: Stitch a Lie

The quiet whirring of the sewing machine filled the large studio design room

The quiet whirring of the sewing machine filled the large studio design room. It was the only sound heard in the room beside the quiet melodic hums of a girl controlling the sewing machine. She had her eyes on the delicate and expensive fabric being fed to the machine and was patiently waiting to finish stitching the last seam of the dress before she pulled it free from the machine.

Her speckled gray eyes examined the gown carefully with her tongue sticking out a little from her painted mauve lips. Her hair curtained the gown as she leaned over it with a magnifying glass, checking for any defects. The burnt copper of her hair clashed with the delicate lilac fabric but she paid it no mind, her focus elsewhere.

She held the beautiful pastel lilac gown up to the luminescent light of the studio and carefully inspected each and every seam, turning it over as she did so. The beaded waves at the bodice gleamed brightly under the lights and the girl smiled at her handiwork.

"Not bad." A tired feminine voice answered. "Is that for the spring collection?"

At the threshold of the studio, almost hidden behind a few dressed and naked mannequins and rolls of silks, satins and sequins, a figure could be vaguely seen.

"Leta." The seamstress greeted her friend. She stood up and carefully left her finished piece on the table where she was working, being careful not to ruin the new work. "How-what are you doing here?"

Leta with her pinkish-blonde hair that looked like cherry clouds and cat-like jade green eyes with painted coral lips that grinned at her friend. She almost looked like a princess from the fairy tales most Capitol children read about.

"Your godfather let me in and I bought food." Leta said, holding up a package. She seemed a little excited despite her friend not bothering to show up to her plans. "You forgot didn't you, Tia?"

Ah.

The tea party.

Leta had repeatedly told her about it. Reminded her between classes and even when they were walking home. She looked up at her friend with an apologetic look and gave a nervous laugh. "I'm so so sorry. I swear it wasn't on purpose."

"I know. I know. Spring is pretty busy at the Sarto house." Leta said with a sigh. She looked at her apologetic friend and held out the package for her. A paper carrier box with a sleeve white and pink swirls that she had picked up from the bakery that supplied the desserts for her little tea party she held for her friends.

She understood that spring for most was the changing of seasons but for the goddaughter and heir of the famed designer and former stylist Cygnus Sarto, it was different. It was a time, everyone in the household was busy preparing for the new collection.

Even though Hestia wasn't technically a Sarto and Cygnus didn't really have children, Hestia and her brother were like the grandchildren the old designer never had. As such, she was treated like one and touted as his heir.