Chapter four

Birds glided beneath him, their wings sprinkled with dark blues and bright, metallic yellows and teal. They soared in effortless patterns along the jagged cliffs of Mountain Wall, just above the brilliant green canopy of the Winewood.

How easy it would be to lose himself in the splendor of crisp, mountain air and the expansive view that lay before him. From his vantage, Teacher could see miles of the giant wood below and the great, grass plains beyond. Low hanging clouds could be touched if he were to fly a bit higher but instead he dove to skim the canopy of the never-ending sea of green that was the Wine Wood. The mountains ranged too high to fly over, and winged predators of great size ruled the air this far north, particularly along the cliff walls, so it could be dangerous to present a tempting, if unconventional, target. Speed, not safety, set the course however, so cutting through the Ice Lakes pass and traveling along Mountain Wall’s ridge became his path, rather than the safer, longer oceanic route.

Despite Sacha’s subdued response to his news of a forthcoming reunion between her and her child, Teacher was convinced it was the best thing for her and he looked forward to giving his pupil some peace of mind. He was keenly aware that the past two years had been gruelling for Sacha, so he was willing to travel the more dangerous course and retrieve her child with the greatest speed he was able.

He kept an eye out for large shadows on the canopy and stayed alert to movement in the distance. Teacher had used this route many times and had seen the price paid for lack of attention.  He could still see the plunging form of the Grahl as it violently tore a rock goose from the air, scattering the forms of it’s migratory companions. The wingspan of the geese was greater than the length of his body, and it was likely just the familiarity of the goose’s flying form that saved him from being the target on that day.

Regardless of the potential danger, he found certain thoughts hard to put away. Primary among them were the haunting lines of the prophecy that spurred his rush in Sacha’s training, and the potential implications should he fail in preparing her for the challenges that she might face.  

two and two, eyes of blue

end of the world, close in view

Teacher curled his lip in disgust as he reflected on the doggerel line. Why must prophecy always be so obscure?

As shrouded in mystery the prophecy may be, the Monastery had trained certain responsibilities into him over the long years. Responsibilities to care take and guide the prophesied youth that might yet save the world. Who that person would be, how they might achieve such a feat, and when it would occur was less than clear. Only that this savior had the capacity to do so was plain, and would ultimately fail, if not taught the arcane ways.  

He remembered well the tense few years after the death of his predecessor and his pupil when they thought the end was nigh. How does one face an apocalyptic vision when the principal key has been lost?

A flock of snow, white birds burst from the canopy in a flurry of flapping wings and screeching calls as he flew near them, wrenching his attention back to the present. Teacher spun to face the sky, hands raising in anticipation of an attack, only to find nothing but puffy white clouds suspended in the vast blue. He let out a deep breath and shook his head, “Keep sharp, or you’ll regret it,” he said aloud in an attempt to give his thought more weight.

Teacher took note of the position of the sun as it began its descent towards the tops of the Winewood and knew that being airborne in the dark in this part of the world, would be inviting death. Spinning back to face the forest canopy below, he tapped the arcane power within him, and willed the air currents around his body to flow at greater speed, propelling him forward at such a pace, the skin of his face was pulled taut around his jaw and cheekbones. He adjusted the large, leather and crystal goggles that protected his eyes from stray insects and debris, which might otherwise blind him. Teacher smiled, truly essential gear for flying.