NINE

kings and queens

kings and queens

"I'M NOT HAVING THIS CONVERSATION AGAIN, CALVIN."

"It feels like we're already having this conversation, though,"

Jane scoffs, shaking her head as she sets her travel mug on the counter, reaching for the coffee pot. "We're not. I'm going to work, where I do my job. You might be familiar with it, it's a place called Quantico."

Calvin narrows his eyes at her from the other side of the counter. "Don't be a smartass, Jane,"

She looks up to meet his gaze, raising a brow. "I'm not being a smartass, I'm reminding you that all I do is work and come home. The only other place I go but this apartment is my father's house, and you know where he lives so it's not like I could be lying. We aren't having this conversation again because it's completely unsubstantiated."

"Jesus, here you go with the lawyer shit," The man shakes his head, giving her a cold look as he rounds the counter to stand before her. "You can really tell who raised you when you pull that shit, Jane."

Jane flinches, setting her now-full mug on the counter with a loud ceramic clank. "That's enough, Calvin,"

"No, this happens every time I try to talk to you about something like this, Jane. You get defensive and you just close everything off and you make it sound like we're in a courtroom or something! It's bullshit, all I'm trying to do is have a conversation here and you're shutting me out,"

She turns to look at him, hands waving incredulously. "I'm not shutting you out, I'm just not entertaining your delusions. The fact that you think I could possibly be doing anything wrong when all I do is work and come home, or go to campus to take a test is ridiculous. You know every minute of my life, Calvin. Wherever this feeling is coming from, I've got nothing to do with it, and I'm so tired of this–"

Jane's frustrated voice stumbles and stutters off as Calvin comes around the edge of the counter quickly, and she pushes herself back away from him, holding out a hand as he backs her into the nearest wall, glaring down at her through dark, fiery eyes.

Her hand is firmly on his chest, keeping a small distance between them, and she can feel the rise and fall of his angry breaths as she stares up at him, clenching her jaw.

"What were you gonna say, Jane?"

She shakes her head once. "Nothing."

"Tell me what you were gonna say," He urges her, voice dangerously low. "You're so tired of this what, Jane?"

"Bullshit," Baring her teeth in a snarl, she spits the words in his face. "I'm tired of you being such bullshit, Calvin, it's–"

Calvin's rough hands grip her arms and he pulls her away from the wall, jerking her around. He ignores her noise of pained surprise and pushes her down forcefully, standing over her as she falls roughly to the floor.