the epilogue.

A week later

I counted-- maybe a total of twelve students, from the entrance all the way to the end of the hall, that had greeted me, either with a "Are you okay now?" or "I'm so sorry for what happened." It didn't help that Cora quietly snickered every time it occurred, as she noted the way I squirmed uncomfortably when attention was suddenly brought to me. I simply shot her a glare, and she looked away, innocently.

"You think I'm gonna have heaps of work when I walk into Mr. Dirkman's tomorrow?" I sighed, looking over to Cora, who was rummaging through her locker for her calculus notebook.

She paused from her notebook hunting, and leaned on her locker door to give me a sympathetic look, "No way. After what happened? Nah. He's one mean teacher but he's not that evil."  

"I mean, I guess you're right but... I swear last time I saw him, red horns almost came right out of the top of his head!" I laughed at my own joke, peering over to Cora, who rolled her eyes with an amused grin.

In the midst of my laughter, I failed to notice the pair of hands that snaked right over my waist. Frightened, I whipped around, only to be met with Peter Parker's adoring, puppy dog eyes. I'd hoped he didn't notice my genuine fear, but I guess the fact that he was somehow a mind reader had miraculously slipped my mind. The brunette boy looking down at me just smiled at my jittery expression. 

"I should go before my innocence is ruined." Cora murmured, shutting her locker door.

I glanced over to her, narrowing my gaze, "Like you had any to begin with."

She stuck out her tongue, childishly, and disappeared into the sea of students. I grinned, looking back over to Peter. Although, my attention couldn't be pried from the hundreds of stares I was getting. It was the very unfortunate downside to appearing on the header of the daily newspapers. Even with his hands still resting comfortingly on my hips, my fingers found its way to each other and I began nervously picking at my cuticles.  

"Hey, quit it. Just ignore everyone. That newspaper article is probably the most drama that's ever reached Midtown." Peter gently pulled me closer to him, so that I was practically against his chest, as we began walking down the hallway. I still couldn't shake the dozens of eyes piercing through the back of my head. as if to shield it from the stares, I leaned my head against his chest, savoring the soft fabric of his shirt. 

I would've made a sarcastic joke to Peter, earning myself a laugh from him, had I not seen a blob of blonde hair and a bright pink top. Lily. My mental and emotional recovery seemed to be in vain at the sight of her. Her frosty blue eyes that seemed a little too much like Alexander's. Those frosty blue eyes that had just met mine. I was glad Peter hadn't spotted her, because he kept walking, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.

Even though everything in me was crumbling on spot, I smiled. At her. To be fair, it was more of a "Fuck you, bitch, I survived," than a, "I survived" smile, but I didn't care. In fact, I hoped she could tell the difference. 

Her expression was nothing but utter guilt and regret. It also made me feel bad. But I shook her gaze off, looking ahead.

"Hey, five buck says you can't land that jump, spinny move in the movie we saw." I challenged, digging five dollars out of my pocket.

Peter looked over at me, and then to the wad of one dollar bills in my hand, "Ten bucks say I can, with you on my back."

I shook my head and laughed, my eyes widening a bit. 

"Sorry, spider boy, I wasn't really planning on dying today."

Peter rolled his eyes at the reoccurring nickname, pulling me closer so he could plant a few kisses.

"I'll give you twenty whole dollars if you stop calling me that." He smiled against my lips, knowing full well that he wasn't going to be losing a dime.

I laughed, slightly tipping back my head, "Bet."